Abbey's Reviews > Dead Man's Folly

Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie

liked it
bookshelves: audio, myst-cosies, myst-pi, series, vintage, myst-fems-project, myst-set-andor-auth-uk

Convoluted tale of murder and mistaken identities at a magnificent mansion during a fete, filled with peculiar characters and interesting twists. A Girl Guide gets herself murdered in a boathouse where she’s supposed to be *pretending* to be a dead body for a peculiar game that starts out being partly “solve the mystery” and part treasure hunt, but soon escalates to something far more deadly.

Sharp characterizations and florid plotting make this fun even though it’s not one of her best - it’s rather over-done in spots and under-cooked in others. Still, the overall effect is good, especially if you enjoy “murder at the manor during a wild weekend”-type mysteries.

This is one of Suchet’s earliest audio recordings, and he isn’t quite comfortable with the format as yet; several of his voices are far too over-emphasized, more acted than read, including, unfortunately, even his Poirot, whose accent varies widely, sometimes becoming even more affected and over-wrought than Inspector Clouseau’s, detracting and distracting the listener from the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Folly.

Started Reading
October 1, 2006 – Finished Reading
September 25, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/) Unfortunately, I have to agree about Suchet's narration. Especially, much too over-the-top with some of the minor characters, to the point of being annoying. I'm heartened to hear it was one of his first: my library has pretty much all of them, and this gives me hope I'll enjoy others more!

Abbey Hello Rosario:
Yes, Suchet's readings have improved rather a lot over the years. Although he is now quite good at it, I find the books read by the guy who plays Hastings to his Poirot (is his name Hugh Fraser?) to be immensely better. He has a smooth, soothing sort of voice that suits not only the material better but a "comfortable" approach to things that particularly pleases me - no extreme emphasis on odd little bits, kwim? He recorded STYLES and several others.

Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/) Hi Abbey! Oh, good, there are several read by Hugh Fraser there, too. Not as many as Suchet, but a fair few. Your description of his style sounds much more to my taste :)