Carolanne's Reviews > The Jewel of Medina

The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, waste-of-time, probably-not
Recommended for: NO ONE

Just because you earned some fancy journalist awards, does not mean you should write a book. THIS BOOK IS AWFUL. Seriously, some of the worst writing I've ever read.
NYtimes gave this a bad review and I should have known right then and there, but I thought, no I'll give this a chance. Well, I shot my self in the foot by renting this rabble at the library.
Will I finish it? I'm sure. Will I be in physical pain from reading such crap? yes. Will I be mentally damaged at the end of it? Hopefully not.

I'm amazed at the people who have given this book 4 or 5 stars. REALLY?? Have they never read a book before?? Has this author even ever heard of character development??? I mean, the main girl, A'isha has no personality, her character is completely stagnant, it seems like the same at 6 years old, as at 9, etc. Boring and poorly written. Typical. Brings no new thoughts or ideas into my head. The author even starts out the book stating how none of this can even be agreed upon by scholars.

Sorry if that offends anyone who thinks this is a great book, but I'm shocked (concerned maybe?), really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of Medina.

January 6, 2009 – Shelved
January 6, 2009 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 6, 2009 – Shelved as: waste-of-time

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Renaissance (new)

Renaissance Offended? No, but quite entertained. You don't mince words when you don't like a book, do you!

Thanks for the "heads up"--I'll divert my attention to other publications.

Keep on flipping those pages.

message 2: by Arif (new)

Arif Thanks for the heads up, and the laugh.