Jasprit's Reviews > Breathe

Sep 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc-galley, out-2012, read-in-2012, ya
Read from September 25 to 29, 2012

Gritty dystopians have really been hitting the spot as of late. Breathe I’m happy to say is a book which managed to tick a lot of my boxes in providing a masterfully woven novel which kept me on the edge of my seat when several books have failed. There are only a distinct number of dystopians which I would categorise as utterly mind-blowing and I’m pleased to say Breathe is one of those books.

With the number of dystopians coming through these days, I’ve become increasingly picky over what I choose to read. Unfortunately the majority of the ones I’ve decided to pick up have failed to live up to expectations. But when I first came across Breathe, for once I didn’t have any feelings of dread in deciding to pick it up. The premise of a society dependant on the rules and regulations they’re governed by that they don’t have their own say is quite over done in books, but despite Breathe focusing on a similar theme touched on by many others, it also had a uniqueness about it which shone through.

Quinn and Bea are brought up in a society where oxygen is a privilege. If you’re a premium like Quinn then you have more access to oxygen tanks and thus generally you get to live the better life. Whereas Bea is an auxiliary, her parents are barely scraping by, the fact that Quinn is her friend makes her life a lot easier, but Bea doesn’t want to be dependent on Quinn for everything, she knows her best shot is to win a place in the pod through the Breathe leadership program.

I know that I would utterly fail at having my oxygen intake monitored by the ministry, so it was tough reading about the two distinct groups; premiums and auxiliaries; how different their lives could be, how everything about society was thoroughly drilled into them, that they weren’t aware of what was within their grasp until they met Alina a member of the resistance. I admit I didn’t like Alina at first, I thought she was sort of butting in Bea and Quinn’s friendship. But the multiple povs in this book allowed me to get a proper understanding of her character, and as the book progressed, the character changes that emerged in her I admired.

Bea was my favourite character; there was so much heartache she had to go through that I really felt for her at times. But through the tough situations she faced, she demonstrated she could be a fierce fire cracker when necessary. I’m still a little conflicted over how I felt about the romance in this book, I’m happy about the direction it went in, but felt it happened all of a sudden, as we were always led to believe it was one sided.

The secondary characters certainly livened up this book; so many times I was quick to make judgements about them, but was surprised by how wrong I could be. Jazz and Maude quickly became favourites.

Overall Breathe is a fresh book that I’m sure many will devour, the insightful multiple povs, fast pace and action packed scenes will sure to keep readers captivated. Book two which is scheduled for release in October 2013, I’m sure will be one of my highly anticipated reads of the year.

This review and more can be found on The Readers Den

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathe.

09/27/2012 page 102

Suzanne Great review Jaspirit, I have this one too but haven't got to it yet. I really enjoy great secondary characters who make an impact on the book. But such a long wait for book 2...

Jasprit Thank you Suzanne! I hope it works out for you when you decide to pick it up. I know I find that's been the case with a lot of my reads this year :( At least I have a massive tbr pile to keep me busy until then ;)

message 3: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice I've seen quite some mixed reviews on this one but I'm still pretty interested to check this out especially now that you seem to have really enjoyed it. Lovely review, Jasprit. :)

Jasprit thanks Eunice! I hope you do check it out, as I'm not a huge fan of dystopians, but this one was great! :)

♥Rachel♥ The idea behind this story frightens me because it seems like something that could actually happen. I'm intrigued by the romance, and I'm wondering which one of the girls is paired off with Quinn. Hmm...Lovely review Japrit. This is going in my TBR. :)

Jasprit Thank you Rachel! I know it's got a really scary vibe to it, but I found it extremely addictive. I can send you my copy whenever I'm send you your next package! :)

♥Rachel♥ Awww, Jasprit, you're so sweet. :)

Jasprit Hehe she's that little girl who was with the resistance leader? She was only like 9 but seemed so much older.

Jasprit hahah (view spoiler)

Louise Wilkes I found Bea to be really self righteous. I liked her more towards the end but Alina had fire and I think thats why I prefered her.

message 11: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer This could not really happen. Oxygen can be taken from water via electrolysis. So no worries on that front, people. :-)