Donna's Reviews > Splendors and Glooms

Sep 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: children, tweens
Read in September, 2012

** spoiler alert ** First of all, this is a solid 3 1/2 star book. I love that Laura Amy Schlitz does not shy away from going dark in her books. Blood can spill, nightmares become reality, and juvenile readers are not going to fall over from that existing in a story. This book includes storylines that involve witchcraft and magic, broken relationships, and children trying to recover from terrible childhoods. In the end, it seemed as if she was in a hurry to wrap up the magical elements aspect of the story, and it was unfortunately hurried out the door. I appreciated the complexity of the children's relationships to each other and that they all toyed with mistrust and doubt. I also appreciated the originality of the work. However, the final chapters were an unsatisfying ending in which Ms. Schlitz seemed to realize some obligation to end the book for a child audience, rather than work out all of the interesting, dark ideas she had set in motion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splendors and Glooms.