Elfira's Reviews > Tears of the Giraffe

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

bookshelves: fiction, author-scottish
Recommended to Elfira by: 3clair

This is the second book of the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I borrowed it from Adhit. I chose this book from his list because I wanted something light and fresh. Fresh means that I haven't read the synopsis or anything that can lead me to knowing what the book is all about.

I got something fresh indeed. The book introduces me to Botswana through the eyes of Mma Ramotswe, Mr. J.L.B Matekoni and several other characters. It is not a pure detective story because it mixes the case with personal life of the lady detective and people around her. That, I think, is one of the difference with the other novel books in which the detective does not seem to have a life outside solving cases after cases.

Though that point makes this book closer to reality, I still don't know where I stand on the pure heart of good people of Botswana. The good people seem flawless, kind-hearted, and polite even in their mind. It could be that I am one who's corrupted, can easily get selfish thoughts creeping in my mind. It could be that the Botswana's good values are deeply rooted in the heart of her people. Of that, I'd like to know more.

I actually wanted to go to the Book Depository and ordered all thirteen books in this series after reading about around 20 pages. But I am aware I can be impulsive so I decided to wait until I have finished reading. And now that I have, I'm happy to wait for four books of these series flying home to my shelve. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of the Giraffe.

September 24, 2012 – Started Reading
September 25, 2012 –
page 118
September 27, 2012 –
page 193
85.02% "p 174 There were times when ignorance was more comfortable than knowledge."
September 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

3clair It's good that you like this book. And if you like this book maybe you should try another series of his which is "The Sunday Philosophy Club Series." I own one them (The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday) and in this series the main character is a philosopher and an editor of philosophy journal. Though I don't love it very much maybe you will find it interesting. So do you want to borrow this one? :)