Kathryn's Reviews > How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A.

How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A. by Marjorie Priceman

Jan 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, fourth-of-july
Read in March, 2011

3.5 STARS

I loved Priceman's How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World and maybe if I hadn't read that one first, this would have been a solid four-stars for me. But, I found it a bit lacking in comparison.

In this version, the little girl wants to make a cherry pie. But, the pie shop is closed for 4th of July. So, she sets out across the USA to gather the raw materials needed to make the baking instruments she will need: "New Mexico for clay (mixing bowl), Washington for wood (rolling pin), Hawaii for sand (sand? to make the glass for her measuring cup, of course)." Of course, it's very fun to travel across the country with her and her cute little dog, and maybe kids would simply be fascinated to know that plastic is made from oil and glass is made from sand--I mean, it's cool, right?

I think my boring grown-up brain just got in the way here. I thought it odd that the girl didn't have the instruments to bake a pie but yet had the equipment to turn sand into glass and oil into plastic. Her trip across the country was back-and-forth, not in a logical geographic sequence. She goes to Alaska for no reason except to look around. And, most of all, it was odd she already had the ingredients for the pie but not the equipment. I guess they wanted to go a different direction than the "Apple Pie" book (in which she gathers the ingredients). Then, too, there is the whole "take only memories, leave only footprints" motto to consider as the girl goes from forests to beaches taking raw materials.

Really, this is still a cute little book. I don't want to be too hard on it! I would still recommend it to those who enjoyed the first book, or those looking for a fun geography lesson or insights into the raw materials used to make products. And there's a fun 4th of July parade at the end so it would be a nice one to celebrate the holiday and our vast country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A..

Lisa Vegan I have it at home but haven't read it yet.

Too bad, except that I think your adulthood probably did get in the way, although your points are excellent! ;-)

Kathryn Yes. It's still adorable and I think you will like it! Enjoy :-)

Kathryn Chandra wrote: "Ha ha! I like this! I'd be thinking the same thing! "

Glad I'm not the only one! ;-p

Lisa Vegan And in my simplemindedness, it didn't bother me at all. I mean, the entire story is fantasy. But, I do understand how you'd think of what you did.