Vera's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

4.5 OMG STARS!!! FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED 4/19/14

Such a twisted story! If you want a romantic comedy, this is not it… If you want a feel good story, this is not it… This is not a fairy tale where prince charming will sweep you off your feet. Now, if you are looking for a twisted or should I say mind-fuck story then you picked the right book. I guess I can say that this is still a romantic story that is full of mystery, web of lies, and wickedness. The characters in this story came in like a wrecking ball!!! I sure did picture Miley Cyrus on top of a wrecking ball when I read this book.

On the day of Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary, Amy disappeared.

Of course, if you watch those crime shows (like I do) ... The husband is always the first suspect. And Nick though considered as the town golden boy seems to not be acting right in the midst of his wife’s disappearance ... He did describe himself as “pragmatic to a fault.”

I love the alternating point of views and the different points in time. Love how the characters are so twisted and manipulative that it confuses you as to what is real and what is not. The story itself is very Alfred Hitchock-like (which I love)! It keeps you guessing of whodunit. I think Gillian Flynn is such a phenomenal writer to write this kind of psychological romantic thriller. The way she represented a cynical look at marriage that has gone very wrong can really make you bite your nails and make the hair in the back of your neck stand out.

Now as much as I enjoyed the story, I was iffy about the ending… (view spoiler)

I definitely can’t wait to watch the movie. Here’s a cover of Entertainment Weekly for Gone Girl: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

September 23, 2012 – Shelved
March 31, 2014 – Started Reading
March 31, 2014 –
2.0% "This reminds me of Hannibal brain scene... "Like a child, I picture opening her skull, unspooling her brain and sifting through it." "
April 1, 2014 –
31.0% "I'm really liking the suspense... IT's killing me... \n \n "
April 4, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Ginette (new)

Ginette lol..looking forward to reading it

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister A fitting gif ;) looking forward to your review!

Vera Ginette wrote: "lol..looking forward to reading it"

GG - I can't wait for you to read it!!!! I have a gif for you once you start reading it! *evil grin* ;D

Vera Kristin (KC) wrote: "A fitting gif ;) looking forward to your review!"

LOL! Thanks KC! Will post it soon! :D

Raquel Awesome review! Can't wait to start it :)

message 6: by Vera (last edited May 23, 2014 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Raquel wrote: "Awesome review! Can't wait to start it :)"

Thanks Raquel! I just love how this book played with my mind. I can't wait to hear what you think! :)

Raquel I'll keep you updated :D

Raquel OMG!! so I had put this on hold to do a BR and now just went back to reading it @45% and wow!! its gotten so good! A bit crazy. I have some theories but I'm not sure either lol

message 9: by Vera (last edited Jun 01, 2014 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Thanks for keeping me updated Raquel! I'm glad you're liking it. And yes, this book is certifiably cray cray!!! LOL!!! I'm sure one of your theories is correct. Love the suspense!!! :D

Raquel Vera wrote: "Thanks for keeping me updated Raquel! I'm glad you're liking it. And yes, this book is certifiably cray cray!!! LOL!!! I'm sure one of your theories is correct. Love the suspense!!! :D"

Okay Just finished!!! Wow!! could barely put it down.. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Raquel wrote: "Vera wrote: "Thanks for keeping me updated Raquel! I'm glad you're liking it. And yes, this book is certifiably cray cray!!! LOL!!! I'm sure one of your theories is correct. Love the suspense!!! :D..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it Raquel!!! :D I know right?!!! And all (view spoiler) Can't wait for the movie! :)

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana Nice review V!