Elizabeth's Reviews > Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Sep 23, 2012

Read from October 18 to 23, 2012

OCTOBER 23rd, 2:30pm
I am utterly spent. I will return to review "Tell the Wolves I'm Home", but I don't know how I'll ever be able to do it, and Carol Rifka Brunt justice. I'm sharing some of the thoughts I had and feelings I experienced that are still very palpable inside me below. Those comments are not meant to be my review. I feel so strongly about this book that I don't want t leave this page naked until I can come up with anything even close to how I feel about "Wolves." There aren't enough stars to adequately rate this book. As I can only give it five I'm giving it five and infinitely more inside me.

OCTOBER 21RST: PAGE 250.

OCTOBER 18TH:

Then I felt so full and freed by what I'd read that I wanted to get on goodreads and facebook and "publish" the word treasures I'd found and share them with the world. No preambles about the book or the book's name. I found myself wanting to leave anonymous sentences or words in quotations giving people hints of what I don't even know how to describe, but that I have read.

I'm only on page sixty and I'm already dreading when "Wolves" will end. I may have to turn right back around and read it again. I know that there is no way that I'm taking in all that there is in this work. I've been highlighting specific one or two words, sentences, and whole passages so I can come back to them later and get high all over again.
I am a wild woman book-aholic. I've read some amazing books over the years and in the past year specifically, that I never thought any other could better, but "Wolves" at this point is my favorite love of all. Ahh...
Reading "Wolves" is a full and all senses experience for me. It is so wonderful that I feel like I could cry. I know that sounds corny but there is something about this book that has swallowed me whole like none other. I felt like I was in my own little world when reading it this morning. After two pages or even one, I turned the ringtone to my phone down to virtually zero. I didn't want the world to intrude on my private time with my "Wolves." The only reason I kept my phone by my side was just in case a number flashed on that might have involved my daughter Lia. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a bit of reading in tonight. If not, it's 5:30am again for this Elizabeth tomorrow. I'm entranced I tell you, entranced!

OCTOBER 18TH, 2:55pm
I'm in love.

OCTOBER 23rd, 8pm: Sharing with another reader of "Wolves."
I had to stop at certain points because every part of me was being as you said, "grabbed." I'm tearing up right now thinking about the end and the middle and the beginning. The last 30 to 40 pages had every part of me so alive yet swallowed up that I could barely read, but I couldn't stop myself from reading. At certain points I was so scared and utterly bereft about what I knew was inevitable that I literally read a bit at a time through my fingers with my hand in front of my eyes. They were so real. They weren't characters in a book. They had come to life. I was with them. I felt like I could hear and smell and taste everything they were (especially two of them). I'm crying like a baby while writing to you. Not naming anyone because I don't want to come close to tipping any potential reader off to the ride I took through all that we are and feel and dread and hope for as sentient beings. I realized that I was literally holding my breath during the last pages. Still crying. My "heart, soul, mind, everything" are still being grabbed" as you shared, and I can feel my body throbbing, especially my arms and hands. Swollen. I am still so full of everything and everyone in "Wolves." I hope that Brunt is mixing up a magical brew that will be her next novel. I want it now! I don't know how to really move on to reading a new book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell the Wolves I'm Home.

10/18/2012 page 70
19.0% "I'm in love." 2 comments
10/18/2012 page 70
19.0% "I started "Wolves this morning at 5:30 so I'd have about an hour and a half to myself. I would literally read a few sentences and feel that I had to stop. Then I re-read and silently mouthed every word to myself, savoring every single word and wanting them to linger with me for as long as possible. This seems to have happened at least one time on every page." 2 comments
10/21/2012 page 250
70.0% "The scope and depth of emotions I'm feeling and that I'm learning, yes learning, about why I feel as I do has swallowed me whole. Tears of sadness, tears of self-recognition, tears for people I know but who I feel I understand more as a result of reading "Wolves." This book cuts across all genres as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think that a single genre exists in which this book could fit."
01/29/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I bawled at the end of this book. I rarely cry when I read, but this book grabbed my heart, soul, mind, everything. I hope Brunt is working her magic again on a new novel....

Elizabeth I know Sherri. I had to stop at certain points because every part of me was being as you said, "grabbed." I'm tearing up right now thinking about the end and the middle and the beginning. The last 30 to 40 pages had every part of me so alive yet swallowed up that I could barely read, but I couldn't stop myself from reading. At certain points I was so scared and utterly bereft about what I knew was inevitable that I literally read a bit at a time through my fingers with my hand in front of my eyes. They were so real. They weren't characters in a book. They had come to life. I was with them. I felt like I could hear and smell and taste everything they felt (especially two of them). I'm crying like a baby while writing to you. Not naming anyone because I don't want to come close to tipping any potential reader off to the ride I took through all that we are and feel and dread and hope for as sentient beings. I realized that I was literally holding my breath during the last pages. Still crying. My "heart, soul, mind, everything" are still being grabbed" as you wrote above, and I can feel my body throbbing, especially my arms and hands. Swollen. I am still so full of everything and everyone in "Wolves." I too hope that Brunt is mixing up a magical brew that will be her next novel. I want it now! I don't know how to really move on to reading a new book. I have one that I've been wanting to read forever, but I may wait until tomorrow to start it. The book is "Black Rain" by: Masuji Ibuse (Hiroshima- before, during, and after the U.S. chose to create a holocaust into which innocent Japanese were thrust...
I may start it later to take my mind off "you know who."

I'm so happy that you and I found each other. It's so good to be able to be honest to the point of being raw with someone. I feel like I can do that with you. I have great respect for you too.

Best, Elizabeth

Elizabeth A Delighted that you loved it as well.

Elizabeth Hi Elizabeth,

I more than loved "Wolves." I don't even know how to express how I feel or what this book and author mean to me. I'm tearing up right now. Seriously.

Thank you for prominently marking this as one of your to-read books. I definitely moved it to the top of my list based on what you said about it. How you felt was what truly sparked my interest and is why I looked for more information about it.

I think we should start a Carol Rifka Brundt fan club and beg her to write her next novel SOON! Yes? Ill even recruit people to join our cause...

Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth A I loved this so much that I've been recommending it to everyone I know, and a several people I don't :-)

Elizabeth Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

Janet I have become an evangelist as well. It was one of the books recommended in the bookseller speed dating at Booktopia Santa Cruz and I found a copy in the used books. As I had already read it, I pointed it out to a fellow attendee who was thrilled to get such a bargain.

Elizabeth Very cool Janet! I've been talking up "Wolves" with seemingly everyone I know. I haven't wanted to lay it on too thick though because I've found that can sometimes backfire. I don't know whether you are a fan of "fifty Shades of Gray", but even if you are, doesn't it seem like the world is out of whack if it is making and being read by millions whereas "Wolf" is not even moderately known YET. This situation doesn't surprise me though.

We all know a magical experience when we read it!

Best,
Elizabeth

Janet I read Fifty Shades and was unimpressed. I've been reading erotica for years and I always tell people that rave about Fifty Shades that they really should read Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty series. Good writing is just good writing no matter what genre.

Elizabeth I agree!

Samantha A Not sure why this popped up now when you reviewed it in Oct, but this is one of my absolute favorite books. It was just so amazing, ugh I miss June.

Elizabeth I don't know why it popped up now either but it has me longing for my "Wolves" experience again.

Laura One of my absolute favorites!

Elizabeth Mine too! I hope she writes another book. I check on that every month or so, but alas nothing new has come up. Will continue to keep my eyes open though...