Kat's Reviews > Taking on the Dead

Taking on the Dead by Annie Walls

Sep 23, 2012

bookshelves: zombie, 2012-read, arc-review-complete
Read from September 28 to October 07, 2012

Taking on the Dead takes every element I love in a zombie story and puts it all together to form a book that is entertaining, disturbing and fascinating all at once. The opening prologue is awesome and really sets the scene and feel for the ret of the book.

The main character, Kansas, is a tough, strong girl whos been living for the last four years in a bunker under her parents house, and although she's alone, she's kept her sanity and is doing quite well on her own. After shes forced to leave her sanctuary, she finds out that although the zombies are still about, quite a few things have changed.

I loved Kansas as a character - she uses her toughness to hide behind, without revealing much about herself to the people that she meets. Plus she uses a crossbow to fight zombies, and for a large part of the book has never even fired a gun she's so hardcore. But she definitely also has a soft side, and her flashbacks to the outbreak reveal really what kind of person she is.

The other characters are realistic and, in the case of Rudy, also pretty damn hot. His flirtation with Kansas, and her relationship with Mac really help the story come alive. Tough guy tattooist Reece and tart-with-a-heart Glinda round out a great cast.

Taking on the Dead is a rough, intense ride through the zombie apocalypse, and definitely not for the faint-hearted - there are plenty of gory fight scenes, hints at cannibalism, a creepy religious cult with an additional twist, baddies, goodies and even some zombie pets. I can't say much more without giving the plot away, but this one is not your standard survival struggle.

The world-building is quite good and I loved that the zombies had the traditional brain-munching traits coupled with a few new ideas, although I did find that I missed a little bit of the back-story of how the living dead took over the world. The pacing was pretty good except for one or two places where things either ground to a bit of a halt or went so fast that I didn't get the chance to really work out what was happening.

Taking on the Dead is a great addition to the zombie genre, and I really enjoyed this one. If you love zombies, this book is definitely for you and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking on the Dead.