Haley Mathiot's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Michael Koryta

Sep 22, 2012

bookshelves: 5-star-bookshelf
Read from September 22 to 29, 2012

It's been a long time since I've been so excited about a book. The Prophet was thrilling in every sense of the word, and combined everything good about a novel: excitement, tension, good writing, complex plot, and twists. I'm not going to tell you a lot about the plot, because I don't want to give anything away: I didn't know a lot going in, and I'm glad, because I may not have picked it up. In fact I almost stopped listening after the first chapter because it felt a little distant… but I'm so glad now that I stuck with it. By the third track I was hooked, and it was all I could think about for days! This is an audiobook I will definitely recommend to people, and absolutely re-listen to.

I loved the ending. I loved the tension. I loved how it all transpired. Even though the ending wasn't perfect, it was right, and it made me do a little happy dance at the end. On top of that, the reader was great. Listening to The Prophet was an all around excellent experience.

Here's the one thing I think might deter people from really getting into The Prophet: There's a lot of football talk. I am not a football fan. Not at all. I don't care for it, I don't understand it, it doesn't matter to me. Suffice to say by the end of the book, not only did I understand a little more (though not all) of what was being said about the games, but I was excited by it. It wasn't written so you had NO clue what was going on, just not a HUGE clue what was going on.

Rating: 5

Content/Recommendation: Some language, violence, graphic imagery. Sexual reference but no erotic scenes. Ages 18+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.