Jane Reads's Reviews > Ties That Bind

Ties That Bind by Carolyn Arnold

Sep 19, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-free, reviewed, mystery

Ties That Bind by Carolyn Arnold is Book #1 in the Detective Madison Knight Series. Ties That Bind stars Madison Knight, detective in the Stiles P.D. Other characters are her partner, Terry Grant, and her boss, Sergeant Winston, as well as her BFF Cynthia Baxter, the CSI Supervisor. Unfortunately, I didn't quite connect with the characters as I read Ties That Bind. For example, I never felt that Madison connected fully with Terry; they didn't seem like equal partners.

Ties That Bind has an interesting plot, with a twist at the end. The action is mostly told in third person, from Madison's point of view. Every so often there's a POV switch, and the reader gets a glimpse into the mind of the killer. His identity isn't given until the end, but bits and pieces of his motivation are slowly revealed. I like this technique, which reminds me of a similar technique in Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone series.

Ties That Bind and the rest of the Detective Madison Knight series should appeal to all fans of police procedurals and mystery/suspense. I think they will particularly appeal to fans of Carolyn Arnold's other series, and of TV's Law & Order, CSI, Blue Bloods, Rizzoli & Isles, and Hawaii Five-O.

I liked Ties That Bind by Carolyn Arnold, and award it Three Stars.

Originally published on my blog at Jane Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ties That Bind.

message 1: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs) I have this on my Kindle, I need to read it soon.