Megan's Reviews > Unremembered

Unremembered by Jessica Brody

Sep 22, 2012

bookshelves: cover-love, books-i-own, first-person-perspective

This book was beyond satisfactory, beyond my expectations. When I first heard about this book, I thought it sounded amazing, but since Jessica Brody has only written contemporary I was a little worried about how this sci-fi book would turn out. With that being said, I had a lower than average expectation. Unremembered surpassed everything I thought, it was truly great. I enjoyed reading it so much that as soon as I finished it I got online and ordered the sequel.

Unlike some books Unremembered starts not with chapter one, but with chapter zero. I thought that was really interesting. While reading the beginning of the novel it seems like this book is going to be a slow and terrible read because of the lack of action and adventure, but that's the beauty of it. Jessica Brody does that to make you see/feel/experience exactly what Sera does. As she starts to learn more things about life and herself, then the plot starts to get better. Jessica Brody definitely did her research for the novel and she did a marvelous job. Despite the impression that this is a slow read, it definitely isn't. Not only was Sera's personality one that fits a person with amnesia, all the scientific things about the book were clearly researched and were fit into the novel perfectly, like the entire Diotech company and all of the scientific gadgets that are used. Major brownie points for creativity!

The characters of the book are very likable. Sera is an intelligent character despite her unrememberance of anything prior to the plane crash. Readers will definitely be able to connect with her because just like the reader, she has no idea what is going to happen; Sera learns things as the reader learns them. Zen was an excellent male/boyfriend character. He too was intelligent and he was extremely patient and brave. He's definitely swoon-worthy. There are a lot of evil characters that are working against Sera throughout the novel and although they weren't likable they were shaped and molded into great enemies. The only characters I didn't really like were the minor characters, but yet again we aren't really supposed to form a bond with them.

The romance of this book was phenomenal. Despite there being so little of it, you can feel the romance between Sera and Zen even when they aren't hugging or kissing. It was amazing how much patience Zen had with Sera despite her always trying to get away from him. They weren't super lovey-dovey and that made me so happy! I loved that Zen didn't push Sera into anything. There romance is definitely one of my all time favorites in all of young-adult literature.

The ending was beyond amazing, I loved it. I definitely understand the cover of the sequel and I feel like it's so symbolic. Although it does end with a cliffhanger, I couldn't have asked for a better ending.

Overall this book had just the right doses of action, adventure, suspense and romance. I loved it! It's definitely one of my favorite books and I'm eager to figure out what happens in the rest of the trilogy. I'm positive that Jessica Brody will not disappoint! I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unremembered.

September 22, 2012 – Shelved
March 4, 2014 – Shelved as: books-i-own
March 4, 2014 – Shelved as: first-person-perspective
March 4, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Nelson I greatly enjoyed your review and i deffinatly want to read Unremembered, great review!