Christine's Reviews > Savvy

Savvy by Ingrid Law

Jan 05, 2009

bookshelves: newbery-medal-honor
Read in February, 2009

Mibs Beaumont is days away from turning 13. In her family, it is a monumental day where family members learn their “savvy”, a special magical gift unique to the individual. For example, Mibs’ brother Fish can create storms; another brother Rocket can create electricity.
Just days before her birthday, Mibs’ Poppa gets into a car accident and is in a coma in a hospital far from home, which necessitates her Momma and Rocket leaving Fish, Mibs, Samson (a younger brother), and Gypsy (a younger sister) in the care of their grandfather while they travel to Salina and their beloved Poppa.
When Mibs wakes up on her birthday she is convinced that her “savvy” will help her Poppa to wake up and ends up stowing away in a bible salesman’s pink bus. She is not alone however, joining her are her brothers Fish and Samson, and the local preacher’s children Will Jr. and Bobbi. During their adventure Mibs discovers her true “savvy” and also realizes that people are not quite what they pretend to be.
I liked Mibs and hope that young girls will also relate to her. My favorite quote from the book is about how others, good and bad, influence us one way or the other. “Maybe we all have other people’s voices running higgledy-piggledy through our heads all the time. I thought how often my poppa and momma were there inside my head with me, telling me right from wrong. Or how the voices of Ashley Bing and Emma Fling sometimes got stuck under my skin, taunting me and making me feel low, even when they weren’t around. I began to realize how hard it was to separate out all the voices to hear the single, strong one that came just from me.”
This is a great book about family and friendship and growing up to be your best self and finding that special something in you that is yours alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savvy.