Meghan's Reviews > Carpe Jugulum

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

Sep 21, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, vampires-zombies-apocalypse, humor

This addition to the Discworld- starring the Witches of Lancre- involves Vampires.

It's another hit for Terry Pratchett, and takes it's place as one of my favorites in this series. I don't know how Pratchett does it: the characters never get stale, the jokes are never old, and the hilarity of his stories doesn't flag. This one is just as funny as the others, and had me laughing out loud in true Pratchett style.

A few quotes:
"Oh, I don't know, I really don't," said Nanny. "I mean, it's flattering and everything, but I really don't think I could be goin' out with a man with a limp."
"Limp what?"

There was something... sort of damp about him, the kind of helpless hopelessness that made people angry rather than charitable, the total certainty that if the whole world was a party he'd still find the kitchen.

"I'm fed up with you smarming at me smarmily as if you were Mister Smarm!"

There's also a HILARIOUS one about a dog with two tails, and an Igor with two...., but unfortunately I can't find the quote off-hand. You'll just have to read the book ;)

I will agree with other folks here and recommend people not start with this one. The story moves swiftly along, there isn't as much background information as is present in previous books, and that could leave people confused.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carpe Jugulum.