Manny's Reviews > A Crown of Feathers

A Crown of Feathers by Isaac Bashevis Singer

Jan 05, 2009

bookshelves: too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, transcendent-experiences

It's been nearly 30 years since I last looked at this excellent collection of short stories, but some of them still visit my thoughts regularly. My favorite is the guy who seduces his neighbor by turning up in her bedroom one night and saying that he's a demon from Hell. It's pitch black, and she's not sure if she's dreaming or awake. She gives him everything he wants, and he tells her fantastic stories of the Infernal Realms. The next night, he comes back again: same deal. This goes on for years.

One night, he arrives as usual, but he's feverish and can't perform. The next night, he fails to show up. The day after, she hears that the man upstairs has suddenly died; they're taking him off to be buried. A sudden hypothesis crosses her mind, but she can't quite believe it.

I think this kind of thing happens all the time.
________________________________

And if you imagined I was kidding...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crown of Feathers.

Started Reading
January 1, 1982 – Finished Reading
January 5, 2009 – Shelved
July 14, 2011 – Shelved as: too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts
July 14, 2011 – Shelved as: transcendent-experiences

message 1: by Tuck (new)

Tuck i had my 14 year olds reading class read this back when i was a teacher. i hope i affected the little tykes for life

Manny Tuck wrote: "i had my 14 year olds reading class read this back when i was a teacher. i hope i affected the little tykes for life"

Yay! I hope you did too. What an inspired choice!

message 3: by Crease (new)

Crease Gracias Manny! I love coming across collections like this.

Buena suerte con tu español también!

Manny Gracias Crease! Ahora voy a leer un segundo libro en español...

Greg Hi Manny, good to run into you again. You seem to be able to find all the really good stuff! I found this collection at a library sale for a buck, but oh, it's a lovely, sometimes odd, definitely touching upon metaphysical issues, and it's a keeper. This will stay on my "already read but want to again" for good.

Manny Thank you Greg, I should also reread it!

Greg Manny wrote: "Thank you Greg, I should also reread it!"

Agreed!

Lars Jerlach I just purchased the Collective Stories by Singer. Can't wait to reacquaint myself.....!

Greg Lars wrote: "I just purchased the Collective Stories by Singer. Can't wait to reacquaint myself.....!"

Lars, wow, that IS the kind of book I do purchase on occasion. Like the collected works of Yeats, or the collected horror stories of Kipling, as I didn't even know he wrote in that genre. But massive collections of short stories are so great to have around, those "100 Best"...cause they are, hopefully, the best of the genre, and one can easily start again for another taste of what's great in this world!

message 10: by Lars (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lars Jerlach At merely $10 it was truly a remarkable scoop. Yes it's quite wonderful to have these collections at your fingertips. I also recently purchased the Complete Collection of Works by E A Poe....!

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg Hi Manny, this is indeed a good collection of stories,