Aaron Dettmann's Reviews > So You Want to Be a Wizard

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

9220569

did not like it

I think this is the worst book I ever read. Only reason I finished it is because it was so short (and even then it took me a while to slog through it). Didn't even realize it was part of a series when I was reading it, as I had forgotten the reason I had checked it out was because the 6th book in the series made the ALA Teen Top Ten List. Very surprised there was enough interest to create a series after this terrible first book. Some highlights:

p. 10: "A wizard's business is to conserve energy - to keep it from being wasted. On the simplest level this includes such unmagical-looking actions as paying one's bills on time, turning off the lights when you go out, and supporting the people around you in getting their lives to work."

Oh my gosh, I wish I had given up on the book right there after that heavy-handed ridiculousness. On page 45 they magically bring a talking white hole to Earth that they name Fred. Yeah, this story keeps getting better and better. In addition, even though they have this white hole they brought to Earth, and they learn that the book that keeps everything in existence is missing, all the main character can think about is getting her ordinary pen back. Some more quotes:

p. 47: Fred talking: "It stopped bobbing, stared at her as if she had said something derogatory. (Do I look like a hole?)
p. 74:Fred talking: (...Not since I was a black hole, certainly. Black holes swallow everything, but a white hole's business is emission.)

Wait a second, he thought being referred to as a white hole was a derogatory term, but then uses it to reference himself just a few pages later!? Yeah, this book was not good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Started Reading