Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > Death, and the Girl He Loves

Death, and the Girl He Loves by Darynda Jones

bookshelves: literal-addiction-books, pub-arc, reviewed

Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Chelle:
*ARC Received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review

Death and the Girl He Loves was a nice conclusion to the DARKLIGHT trilogy. Was it my favorite of the series? No. Was it interesting, compelling, and worth recommending. Absolutely!

This installment was quite a bit more somber and serious than the previous two. Since the moment Lorelei found out about her heritage, she has known that she was the key to stopping a war, however, she never knew how, or when, and nobody could (or would) tell her. As the end draws near, Lorelei's stress ratchets ever higher, and her self doubt skyrockets. Add to that the fact that she's literally foreseen the deaths of everyone she loves and is convinced that she just CAN'T stop what's to come, and she's kind of a mess. As she and the rest of the gang try to come up with ways to literally stop the apocalypse and change fate, she systematically works through these complex layers and attempts to find her center. While I enjoyed all of that, found the seriousness necessary, and loved the journey and growth of the characters, I missed the snark and wit. There just weren't as many one liners, snippy comebacks, silly escapades and practical jokes as there were in the previous 2 books, and while my brain understood the necessity for the solemnity, my heart longed for the level of Darynda Jones snark and with that I've come to crave.

I will say this, where the book 'grew up' and swapped fun for seriousness in my opinion, it didn't turn into a stodgy old biddy shut in at home. The level of action was as great, if not better, than the previous 2 books. In addition, the suspense and surprise in this installment were amazing. The plot twist was very unexpected for me, and at first, I was honestly really confused. Then, as it was all laid out and explained, I thought it was kinda brilliant! :)

All in all, Death and the Girl He Loves was an engaging read that I would recommend. I do recommend reading the entire series in order, however, as there is just way too much history for the book to stand well on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death, and the Girl He Loves.

September 21, 2012 – Shelved