Barbara's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Sep 20, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, mystery-historical
Read from September 19 to 22, 2012

When I picked this up thinking it was another book by a different author I read. I was totally mistaken, but this was a fortunate and happy accident. I really enjoyed this book. This is a historical mystery involving a gentleman and bachelor in Victorian England. (Wow, there seem to be an awful lot of mysteries set in Victorian England - or at least I seem to keep happening on them.) He gets involved in trying to solve a murder of maid that used to be in the employ of his childhood friend, Lady Jane. It soon turns out this is much more going on than the murder of the maid.

Charles Lenox seems content to be a bachelor and even suggest he is now too set in his ways to ever marry. There are also suggestions that society might question his relationship with Lady Jane, except for the fact the she is so well respected that few would question her and their long friendship gives them some leeway. However, it may be wishful thinking on my part, but I detect something simmering between the two and its more than just friendship.

The mystery was enjoyable the relationship between Lady Jane and Charles Lenox engages me more. I'm going to look for the next in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.