Cheyenne Blue's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult-books-for-adults

Every day, the genderless A wakes in the body of a different person. The new body is always the same age as A (16 at the time the book is set), and within a small area of the east coast of the United States. A has always been this way and doesn’t know any different. A is able to access the host body’s memories so that A can pass as that person for the day.

But when A inhabits the body of Justin, he falls for Justin’s girlfriend Rhiannon and falls in love. Against all odds, A and Rhiannon manage to form a kind of relationship – as close as they can be when everyday A is in a different body.

This was a fascinating premise and for the most part came together beautifully. It could have been a fractured story of different people and lives, but Levithan continues the arc of A and Rhiannon’s relationship and the complications it brings. There’s a subplot involving Nathan, who remembers enough of A’s possession of his body to believe he’s been taken over by the devil.

This is an utterly compelling read, not only for the main storyline, but also for the glimpses into different lives that A inhabits for a day. The day in the life of a suicidal girl, and the bitch to the core girl are superbly done. Of course Levithan uses the book to showcase his own visions of love unbounded by gender or orientation. I love this. Society hasn’t quite caught up to this yet, but I love reading about a present day society without the discomfort caused by expectations of gender or sexuality.

Levithan’s writing is easy and glorious and is a joy to read.

All the way through I was wondering how this story would end. Would we find out why A is as they is, would they find a way to maintain and develop their relationship with Rhiannon? Levithan keeps you hooked until the very end. Personally, I didn’t feel the ending was the equal of the book, but YMMV.

4.5 stars overall ( the missing half star is due to the ending) but rounded up to 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

September 20, 2012 – Shelved
August 3, 2014 – Started Reading
August 5, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 5, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult-books-for-adults
August 5, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Laila (new) - added it

Laila Ohh, it's been on my to read pile for a while. I think I'm gonna move it up :).

Cheyenne Blue Be interested to hear what you think of it.