terrycojones's Reviews > Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

Jan 04, 2009

did not like it
Read in January, 2000

OK, just to prove I don't love all books, don't write breathless reviews of everything.... time to say something nasty.

I hate Madame Bovary.

I just can't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe it's beautiful in French - I read it in English.

Seems there are 2 kinds of readers: ones that love MB and ones that don't. The latter are in a very small minority. It's one of my literary due diligence questions.

I just didn't get it. Emma Bovary is an idiot. The plot is repetitive and silly.

If you want adultery done right, go read The Red & The Black (Stendahl).

Why oh why is MB so highly thought of?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Bovary.

04/22 marked as: read

message 1: by M (new) - rated it 1 star

M I have no idea. When someone figures that out, I'd love to know.

Selena Try the Lydia Davis translation.

message 3: by M (new) - rated it 1 star

M I've been thinking about doing that because I really like Davis' short stories. But I worry that it isn't the translation; it's the novel itself: plot, structure, characters.

message 4: by Frith (new) - added it

Frith Trezevant This translation has a number of niggling errors 'she read his letter(s) ... Over the roots (roofs/rooves) into the sunset' etc in the first chapter. Shoddy proofing.

Andrée-anne I read it in French. Not better.

Andrée-anne I read it in French. Not better.

terrycojones HI Andrée-anne, thanks for commenting - that's interesting to know. Have you read Le Rouge et le Noir?

Kathrin Of course she's an idiot. That's the whole point. The book is really not about the adultery but about Emma's condition, the adultery are just one of the symptoms. But I see where you are coming from, especially having read a translation.