Mark Lawrence's Reviews > Fortress Frontier

Fortress Frontier by Myke Cole

Sep 20, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

Control Point was one of my favourite reads of 2011 year ... quite possibly my favourite. I'll have to caveat that with the fact I don't manage to read a huge number of books these days - but it's a great read, fast, imaginative, well written, fun. I had my gripes about the main character, Oscar Britton, but I can appreciate the realism behind a 'hero' who isn't consistent, who changes his mind, who doesn't do what I think he should - that's real life for you.

Fortress Frontier is probably a better book. Certainly it opens better and the writing on display shows Cole has more strings to his bow, capable of considerable sophistication in bringing to life a new main character, far less gung-ho than Britton and with more subtle characterization.

Our new man, Colonel Bookbinder is an army beaurocrat (a word I can never spell ... it looks right(ish) & I refuse to check ... so I'm leaving it). He's a family man, unused to action or conflict and Cole does great work making us care about his situation and then through him reintroducing us to the world we first discovered in Control Point.

Bookbinder swaps the stage with Britton throughout the tale, their adventures largely separate until a collision toward the finale.

We see new and interesting variants on the magic introduced in book 1. We meet new monsters. We further explore the world of the Source. Things are blown up, set on fire, frozen, sliced, diced and variously demolished. The action dial is turned to 11 by the end of the book and a great time is had by all, with a healthy smattering of twists and moral dilemmas.

I enjoyed Bookbinder's sections more than Britton's, and many of Britton's storyline issues are left hanging at the end in a slightly unsatisfying way, but these are minor complaints. Fortress Frontier is like the Control Point upgrade. If you liked Control Point, you should love Fortress Frontier.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortress Frontier.

September 20, 2012 – Shelved
February 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

Mark I am so jealous you get to read Myke Cole early :p

RuthAnn Great! Glad I preordered this one!

Mark Me too! I work in a book store and love being surprised when I open the receiving and there is something like that right there I've been waiting for (recently King of Thorns ;) ):D

Zachary Caldwell Bureaucrats - Bureau means desk in french, and then you add in crat which means rule in Latin. Ergo, Bureaucrat.