Skwerlie's Reviews > Lyra's Oxford

U 50x66
Aug 06, 2007

it was ok
Read in January, 2005

I loved the His Dark Materials trilogy, it is one of my favourite book series ever. When I heard that there was a short story that follows the series, I was really excited and checked it out from the local library.... ugh. I really disliked the story, wish I had never read it- I felt like it took the character I'd loved through 3 books and ripped off all the interesting bits so that she was an ordinary and unexciting teenaged girl. Where was the Lyra from the earlier triology? I certainly didn't feel like I'd seen her in this story. Perhaps I'm being overly dramatic, to be honest it's been a couple of years since I read it, and I only read it once. I suppose that's the problem with writing reviews after the fact- I remember my impressions of the story much more than the actual story itself! I'd give the maps, postcards, advertisments and other general "stuff" in the book 4 stars, I'd give the intro 5 (I remember it being a fabulous introduction), but the story only 1- and since the short story was the obvious "main course" of the book, it's weighted my rating a bit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lyra's Oxford.