Bettie☯'s Reviews > Q: A Great Novel, One that Tell Us About Ourselves and How We Came to be Here

Q by Luther Blissett
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Q.

06/26/2009 page 114
16.96% "I have be cross-checking the facts and it is all pretty accurate. Great book on the Reformation"
06/26/2009 page 143
21.28% "Part II opens with the beheading then burning of Jan van Batenburg"
06/26/2009 page 173
25.74% "Now the treachery is uncovered and this has turned into a historical whodunnit along the lines of an Eco epic. Sweet!"
06/27/2009 page 309
45.98% "bookburning in Münster under the direction of Jan Matthys - Aristotle, Augustine, Tacitus, Caesar, Peter Lombard all up in smoke."

Cassiel I'm glad that you (mostly) liked this book. I must be desensitized to profanity; didn't notice it while reading, and don't remember it at all.

Such strange times in Europe, and what weirdness done in the name of faith. I find a bit of comfort that the fits of religiousity occurring in the US are necessary growing pains.

Bettie☯ Cassiel wrote: "I'm glad that you (mostly) liked this book. I must be desensitized to profanity; didn't notice it while reading, and don't remember it at all.

Such strange times in Europe, and what weirdness done..."

Hello there Cassiel - This was the best book for explaining all the schisms after Luther. It is perfect as a history piece, the most understandable book on the Reformation I have read, then you get an excellent spy story on top - and wasn't that ending a blinder, wow! didn't expect that at all. Great book - and all the maps and woodcuts in the back.

Cassiel Cheated, I have been! No maps or woodcuts in either my hardbound, or paperback. I see that your version also has a nifty devil skeleton on the cover, lacking on mine.

Bettie☯ Cassiel wrote: "Cheated, I have been! No maps or woodcuts in either my hardbound, or paperback. I see that your version also has a nifty devil skeleton on the cover, lacking on mine. "

maybe it's because the american publishers didn't buy into the piccies - I have since found each and every one in Wiki:

John of Leiden

Lamberti Church with those three cages which are still there today *shudder*

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes This is coming up on TBR soon. I tried to read it a while back and had to put it down. I don't remember why. My copy has the woodcuts, fortunately. I particularly like the one of the pope done a' la Arcimboldo. Can't figure out how to put in the pic, so will give the link:

and there's a whole museum in Perugia filled with the instruments of torture from them there days... and then they give some people a hard time today about S and M practices...

Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "This is coming up on TBR soon. I tried to read it a while back and had to put it down. I don't remember why. My copy has the woodcuts, fortunately. I particularly like the one of the pope done a' l..."

Hayes - I bet you will love this book seeing as you can picture, in your mind's eye, some of the backdrop settings. I think it's a fantastic way to get to know the Reformation - two thumbs up IMHO.

Bettie☯ Thanks GoldCato, Gerry, Asma