Rebecca's Reviews > T is for Trespass

T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012

This will probably be my last Kinsey Millhone for a while, even though it was well-written and absorbing. Throughout the three days (morning and evenings) it took me to read "T Is for Trespass," I found myself with low-level anxiety that I finally figured out was worry over Gus. Grafton created a convincing sociopath in the fake Solana Rojas, and then doubled the horror with the creepy son -- and unloaded these twin forces of evil on Kinsey's next-door neighbor. Whom I don't think we've met before; it's amazing how Grafton builds our empathy for such an initially unsympathetic character. Another first, for me: Gus's niece has the last name "Oberlin." (You can't make this stuff up. Oh, wait, you _can_.) Where things start to fall apart, predictably, is the end. Having put all these forces in motion, Grafton loses her touch when it comes to extricating Kinsey from them. Solena becomes a kind of Quilty, an all-knowing archenemy bent on Kinsey's destruction. There's also a gruesome scene involving an arm ripped from a body that I did not believe for one second. So, props to Grafton for drawing me in, but after reading the reviews of the alphabetical U and V mysteries, I think I'll wait till late 2013 for the W. By which time it will be late 1988, Kinsey time. (I do like the time-travel Grafton has created by leaving her heroine back in the decade in which she was created; there's an amusing exchange here where Kinsey remains unconvinced that a 10-year-old will ever master this thing called a computer. If Grafton lets in a few anachronisms, like a too-early familiarity with Tasers, so be it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read T is for Trespass.

Finished Reading