Danielle's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Nikki Jefford

Sep 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance

I saw this book on the earlier reviewer giveaway page a while back and then I saw it again on Netgalley so I figured I'd try it since the cover is so enthralling. I want to start by saying that this book wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either and it didn't really live up to my expectations.

The novel starts off by introducing Charlene and Graylee, twin sisters and witches to boot. You come quickly to find out that Charlene is an evil spiteful sister who becomes envious of Graylee's powers and is so wrapped up around herself that she no longer cares about her mother or sister or her friends. After the introduction, which is slow going btw, Graylee wakes up one morning to find herself in Charlene's body. Come to find out, she died several months earlier and her mother had someone cast a spell to bring her back to life. Now it's a race between Charlene and Graylee to see who can purge the other sister's soul first so they no longer have to share a body.

What I Liked: Raj. He was actually quite likable. At first I thought he was a bit annoying and spineless even though he was supposed to be throwing out this bad boy aura. But then I really did fall in love with him because of his devotion and willingness to help Graylee. I also liked Charlene's character. My goodness! She is such a witch! (hehe). And I was very ecstatic about how Charlene ended up in this first novel. I won't say more lest I give away something.

What I Didn't Like: There were some inconsistencies. Maybe if I read over it one more time I can overlook them because I already know what's going to happen? Maybe? First off, the intro bit of the novel at the beginning took way to long to set up the storyline. I like books that give you a slight background on the back cover synopsis then jumps straight (or almost straight) into the story and gets the ball rolling. Second, the plot was not really a mystery to figure out i.e. chocolates, mom not attending gatherings, squealing tires, ryan, etc. I felt slightly let down because I expected something a bit more meaty and suspenseful. And lastly, when their mom left a second time...what did she end up finding out before she returned home? Because she was gone one minute then turned up to meet outside the bookshop the next...Hmmm.

I'd give this novel a 3.5 out of 5. Thank you NetGalley for this copy of Entangled :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

September 19, 2012 – Started Reading
September 19, 2012 – Shelved
September 19, 2012 –
54.0% "Hmmm the book is still quite slow. I'm a bit bored with the storyline and I feel like it's not really going anywhere. But I will make myself finish even if I have to cloister myself in the closet to do so."
September 19, 2012 – Finished Reading