Christelle's Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

Sep 19, 2012

liked it
Read from September 19 to 21, 2012

Oh be careful little high school darlings who you cross...

The book is about three very different girls teaming up to exact revenge. Yes, please. Books about girls getting even are just so.much.fun. The setting was beautiful, and if you know me, I need to enjoy the setting of a book to really like the book itself. Burn takes place on a beautiful island where rich, poor, local, tourist, etc. all intersect.

The Han/Vivian partnership was brilliant. I was not that into Han's first series. I found her MC really immature and unlikable in the first two books and nonexistent in the third. However, the characters in this series are all really likeable, even the baddies. Actually, I kind of like the baddies more! The cast is more realistic. I think in teen books the villans are usually too inhuman to be realistic. But in this series even they have soft, tender moments that make you kind of unsure about who you're rooting for.

Also the paranormal twist? Love it. You know why? Because it wasn't always obvious. Most PNRs give way too much away too early on. Like by page 2 you can usualy say "angel", "vampire", "werewolf", right away. I liked the mystery with this one. You didn't know right away that it was about someone with paranormal abilities. It was first and foremost about revenge, the PNR was just a twist that came up much later on. I dig it.

I say read it friends. It's a good back to school read for sure! The trysts, the drama, the frenemies. You will devour it in a day because it is just oh-so-juicy. It taught me that what every good teen book needs is a good face spitting.

Han, give your pal Vivian a hug, she's brought out the best in you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.

09/19/2012 page 91