Crowinator's Reviews > Etiquette & Espionage

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

Well. Well well well. I think I'll have to go back and give the adult series set in this alternate steampunk Victorian world a try.

Despite my stumbling over the affected narrative style at the outset, I ended up being entirely swayed by its charm and cleverness, and I enjoyed the book so much that I was disappointed when it was over. I wanted it to continue, perhaps indefinitely. It reminds me very much of Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series in its lighthearted silliness and droll humor, though without the subtle gravitas that I associate with his YA work (especially his later Aching books). The plot Sophronia involves herself in (involving the hidden location of a mysterious prototype) is a bit wispy, but the finishing school stuff is really the big draw here, and it's grand. The things these girls can do with sewing scissors, hair ribbons, perfume, and handkerchiefs! Too bad I'll have to wait a loooong time for the second in this series, given this one's pub date of Feb. 2013.

Longer review to come, probably closer to the pub date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Etiquette & Espionage.

September 19, 2012 – Shelved
October 1, 2012 – Started Reading
October 1, 2012 – Shelved as: arcs
October 2, 2012 –
page 53
17.26% "After the prose felt too affected in the beginning, this is growing on me and becoming a lot of fun."
October 3, 2012 –
page 128
41.69% ""No one said learning etiquette and espionage would be easy, my dear." DRINK!"
October 3, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads
October 3, 2012 – Shelved as: alt-history
October 3, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites-2012
October 3, 2012 – Shelved as: steampunk-clockwork
October 3, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 2, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own-kindle

Jessica-Robyn You're the first person I know to read this! Super excited to hear what you think of it. This is probably one of my more anticipated titles. :)

Wendy Darling Five stars?! I'm not going to be able to resist much longer. I've been trying to be good and read the fall ARCs first, but after seeing this rating...

I'm glad you liked it so much! Will be back to read the review at a later date. :)

Crowinator I loved it, though the rating was supposed to be four stars, so I changed it back. (c; Oops. Maybe my mouse rolled over the stars accidentally -- I could have sworn I had four there when I posted this. Anyway, don't let that diminish your excitement!

Morgan Acheson Have you read the parasol protectorate series?! amazing! I couldn't wait for this to come out and I am reading it painfully slow so it lasts longer. I think the next installment comes in November!

Barbara I loved the Parasol Protectorate so if you haven't yet, do read it. That made take a pot of the finest darjeeling and in spots, smelling salts as there are some rather shocking happenings!