Anissa's Reviews > Jane Eyre Laid Bare: The Classic Novel with an Erotic Twist

Jane Eyre Laid Bare by Eve Sinclair

liked it
bookshelves: reimagined-and-alternate-tellings, romance, arcs-netgalley-and-analog, 2012

2.5 stars (better than ok but i wouldn't say I much liked it either.)This is a tough book for me to review. I'm an Austen person & must admit that I've never found Bronte heros inflamed a thing in my heart close to adoration. So I went into reading this book as one who respects the classic work but does not hold it as so sacred a thing. Because of that, I can say that for what it is, it's a decent enough effort. It's a lurid, smut romp. No one reading this is going for the literary value or as a comparison piece to the original. I didn't find it sexy or erotic but as I've said, I've no deep affinity for the original characters. I've also read much better scenes in other books. I saw this Jane as a different iteration from the original work & once I took it all as far less serious, I zipped right through it. The very last for the ending was a nice twist. While I didn't see that coming, it was again a departure from the original & I didn't dislike that. I daresay that the ending makes up a bit for the rest. As the Jane in this story ends in a different place than the original, I wonder if there will be a series of the further adventures of Jane & (view spoiler)

If there are people out there who have not read Jane Eyre (I have to imagine they do walk the earth & may well read on occasion), they may adore it from beginning to end. I wouldn't recommend this for those who have deep devotion to the original but then I expect that should they pick this up to read it, they know it's not a serious re-telling & should be prepared for it to be exactly what it is. This is not the worst thing I've ever read but it is hardly a sign of the downfall of literature or erotica. This is a mediocre attempt, mostly forgettable & probably will satisfy large swathes of readers who are just looking for something quick & titillating. Again, there are worse things in print.

I won a paperback copy of this book from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre Laid Bare.

September 19, 2012 – Shelved
October 20, 2012 – Started Reading
October 20, 2012 – Shelved as: reimagined-and-alternate-tellings
October 20, 2012 – Shelved as: arcs-netgalley-and-analog
October 20, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
October 23, 2012 –
page 126
37.5% "there's no way to take this as a serious retelling. at all. this is simply a smut romp."
October 24, 2012 – Finished Reading