Lt Thompson's Reviews > Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Sep 19, 2012

bookshelves: picture-books, story-books, read-aloud

This is one of the first books I remember my sweet mother ever reading me. It is the story of a little girl with a big name, and is often teased for it. But when she is introduced to her music teacher, Ms. Twinkle, she encounters self-confidence again. Growing up, I had a big name...Lindsey-Taylor, and my mom would always remind me of how beautiful it was even though it wasn't like many names. I personally relate to this book because of that I think, my mom intentionally read this to me to create a self-confidence about my unusual name! This book is not only sweet, but it has such good morals behind it! It teaches children that everyone is beautiful, there is no just one type. It helps children to silence the voices of bullies and believe in themselves. The illustrations are exquisite and so unique! It is so easy to read the emotion on the characters face! This book is great to read in class and teaches students to love uniqueness and themselves!

I chose this book for my read aloud. I chose this because I felt as though the underlying message and relatability to the students was at a high. This book is great to tell students how each person is unique and loved for a reason. I believe it embraces differences in students and this would be great to reiterate that to build confidence amongst my kids. I also think this would be a fun activity to come up with things that are unique to each student, and have that student write it down. Also, to compliment other students on certain qualities they have. The drawings are great and so is the story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chrysanthemum.