Brad's Reviews > Miss Nelson Is Missing!

Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

M 50x66
Sep 19, 2012

bookshelves: picture-story-books, read-aloud
Read in September, 2012

This was always one of my favorite books in elementary school. When I saw that it was a book I could read again after not seeing it for several years, I jumped at the opportunity. It's the story about an elementary class who do everything they could to misbehave and not listen to the teacher. After not being able to get them to listen to her many different times, Miss Nelson decides to get back at them and trick them into behaving. She leaves one day and returns to school the next day as Miss Viola Swamp. Miss Swamp is dressed in black, with black hair, and she looked like nothing but trouble. The students found out quickly that they missed Miss Nelson and wanted her back. They went around asking everybody if they had seen her and even went by her house but only saw Miss Swamp walking by and they didn't want her to see them. So, they decided to go to the town detective to see if he knew where to find her but he wasn't much help. The next day they returned to school, Miss Nelson came back and they decided they didn't want to talk about what had happened while she was gone. This book would make a great read aloud or would be one that any elementary aged child first thru third grade would love. They can easily relate to this story because there are teachers they all love, some they all hate, and everyone has had a bad substitute that makes them realize how good they usually have it. The illustrations were great and I liked how it showed the expressions of many different individuals to help the reader understand how the characters felt. Miss Nelson's moods were also depicted well through the expression on her face. Great book that I still love to this day! Highly recommended!!!!

I believe that this book would be a great read-aloud choice because, as mentioned before, it is a story that your kids could instantly relate to from the beginning. It is a fun story that also works to teach kids a lesson without them acutally realizing it. They can learn the behaviors that a teacher does and does not like and what can happen to them if they misbehave in class. The story line can also keep the kids guessing as to what's going to happen next and, that can be the grounds for a great class discussion. The illustrations also do a great job of showing many different students in the classroom; each student could pick out their favorite or maybe even who they think most resembles themselves or other students in the class. You can ask the kids what they think happened to Miss Nelson, what the differences are between her and Miss Swamp, or which teacher they would prefer just to name a few possibilities. At the turn of every page, the story would always keep everyone's attention and the kids would be eager to learn if their predictions were right. The book also closes on a great note by not stating that Miss Nelson actually was Miss Swamp; it allows the students to figure out that she was Miss Swamp by the costume hanging in her closet. Great read-aloud for early elementary students in first and second grade.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Nelson Is Missing!.