Katy's Reviews > Kiss of the Butterfly

Kiss of the Butterfly by James  Lyon

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: ebook
Recommended to Katy by: James Lyon
Recommended for: those interested in true vampire legends and lore

Book Info: Genre: Alternate history/Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: People interested in actual vampire myths and legends

My Thoughts: Having been fascinated by vampires since I was in 4th grade, I was unable to resist the allure of a book that makes use of the actual legends and lore rather than just making stuff up (like sparkling). I was not disappointed – the research and details in this book were amazing, and it was a great story.

Probably my favorite part of the book was a short “interlude” section featuring the vampires finding themselves in the modern world and marveling at all they see. I think an entire book written just about this would be hilarious, personally. This little scene shows them discovering modern firearms.
It’s strange craftsmanship... nothing I have ever seen before.... It’s engraved with the word Zastava and the year 1956.... Multiple cartridges... and they have attached the ball to a brass casing... and it loads through the breech. This means no more muzzle-loading, no more measuring out powder for every shot, no more ramming the charge home down the barrel, no more forgetting to remove the ram-rod before firing, no more problems keeping your powder dry. They can probably fire several shots a minute with this. An army with this weapon could rule the world!... We have truly met with good fortune: our meal is ... possessed of a superior weapon.
If you, like me, enjoy reading about the legends and lore surrounding vampires, and enjoy a fascinating story that interweaves fact, fiction, and history into an intricate web of a story, then you won’t want to miss this terrific book – recommended!

Background on the Book: Vampires have formed an integral part of Balkan folklore for over a thousand years. "Kiss" represents a radical departure from popular vampire legend, based as it is on genuine Balkan folklore from as far back as the 14th century, not on pop culture or fantasy. "Kiss of the Butterfly" offers up the real, horrible creatures that existed long before Dracula and places them within a modern spectrum.

Meticulously researched, “Kiss of the Butterfly” weaves together intricate threads from the 15th, 18th and 20th centuries to create a rich phantasmagorical tapestry of allegory and reality. It is about divided loyalties, friendship and betrayal, virtue and innocence lost, obsession and devotion, desire and denial, the thirst for life and hunger for death, rebirth and salvation. “Kiss” blends history and the terrors of the Balkans as it explores dark corners of the soul.

Disclosure: I received an e-book review copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: "The smell of blood is in the air, I sense it even now. People thirst for it; the entire country is mad with desire for it. And now we are going to war with our brothers because they look like us, and because we can smell our blood coursing through their veins...” A mysterious letter starts a university student on a journey into the war-torn lands of rapidly disintegrating Yugoslavia. Naively trusting his enigmatic professor, the student unwittingly descends into a dystopian crucible of decay, destruction, passion, death, romance, lust, immorality, genocide, and forbidden knowledge promising immortality. As the journey grows ever more perilous, he realizes he must confront an ancient evil that has been once again loosed upon the earth: from medieval Bosnia to enlightenment-era Vienna, from the bright beaches of modern-day Southern California to the exotically dark cityscapes of Budapest and Belgrade, and horrors of Bosnia.

Kiss of the Butterfly” is based on true historical events. In the year of his death, 1476, the Prince of Wallachia – Vlad III (Dracula) – committed atrocities under the cloak of medieval Bosnia’s forested mountains, culminating in a bloody massacre in the mining town of Srebrenica. A little over 500 years later, in July 1995, history repeated itself when troops commanded by General Ratko Mladic entered Srebrenica and slaughtered nearly 8,000 people, making it the worst massacre Europe had seen since the Second World War. For most people, the two events seemed unconnected…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Butterfly.

September 18, 2012 – Shelved
September 19, 2012 – Shelved as: ebook
November 29, 2012 – Started Reading
November 29, 2012 –
19.0% "Interesting so far."
November 29, 2012 –
November 30, 2012 –
64.0% "Vampires shut away for 200+ years find themselves in Yugoslavia in the early 80s. Hilarity ensues..."
November 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Michael Fierce Sounds pretty damn cool. You like it so far?

Katy Michael wrote: "Sounds pretty damn cool. You like it so far?"

Yeah for the most part. There are a couple places with some rather weirdly stilted dialogue, but since many of the characters are not speaking their native language, I can pretty easily excuse that. Some fascinating vampire lore in this one.

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "Some fascinating vampire lore in this one"

I think Mr. Lyon might have used some of the same folkloric info I've been using to put together The Sect of Ominos.

And why I'm a bit interested in this although it's a galaxy far far away from mine.

;)

Katy Michael wrote: "Katy wrote: "Some fascinating vampire lore in this one"

And why I'm a bit inte..."

James Lyon Katy,

Many thanks for the kind words about Kiss of the Butterfly. I'm glad you liked it. I have linked to your blog from the Kiss of the Butterfly facebook page. I hope you like the photo I put with it.

Best

James

Kiss of the Butterfly by James Lyon

Katy Yes, that's a wonderful picture - thanks for the publicity!

James Lyon Katy wrote: "Michael wrote: "Sounds pretty damn cool. You like it so far?"

Katy is absolutely right about the stilted dialogue. There are parts of the book where I tried to make the person's speech patterns reflect those of a non-native English speaker from the Balkans. I hope it didn't cause too many difficulties. It is intended to lend atmosphere and, in certain instances, develop the characters.

Michael Fierce Sounds interesting.

Michael Fierce Katy wrote: "He listed some of his sources at the end - would you like me to write them down for you after my Nook is finished charging back up? "

Gosh, Katy, I really appreciate that. However, I'm afraid I will like his sources too much and it's probably best if I keep my reference notes from crossing with his so the final output is as different in backdrop as possible. Though the stories aren't even similar, TG! I think this story sounds really cool.

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Okay, no probs. And James, I'm glad I was right about the dialogue :-)

James Lyon Michael wrote: "Katy wrote: "He listed some of his sources at the end - would you like me to write them down for you after my Nook is finished charging back up? "

Gosh, Katy, I really appreciate that. However, I'..."

I understand Michael perfectly. I refused to read Bram Stoker's "Dracula" prior to writing Kiss of the Butterfly, because I didn't want Stoker to influence my vision. The sources I mentioned in the Historical Note at the end of the book are all either in Serbo-Croatian, German, Old Church Slavonic, or Latin.