Beth Ambri's Reviews > Jumanji

Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg

F 50x66
Sep 18, 2012

Jumanji is a story about a brother and sister who are left alone one afternoon and have to find a way to entertain themselves. Becoming quickly bored with their toys, they go to the park where they find a board game sitting under a tree with a note advising the players to read the directions. They bring it home with them and read the directions as advised, which warns them that once the game is started it cannot stop until someone wins. The children encounter many bizarre scenarios when they land on a space which sends monkeys into their kitchen to rummage for food an a volcanic eruption in their living room. They push on until finally the sister wins the game and all of the wild antics vanish. This book won the Caldecott medal in 1982. The pictures in this book are very detailed and even in black and white provide a colorful picture of what is going on the book. I like this book because of idea of a board game coming to life because when I was younger I wished that would happen with my games because it would've made them a lot more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jumanji.