Nathan "N.R." Gaddis's Reviews > Every Third Thought: A Novel in Five Seasons

Every Third Thought by John Barth

bookshelves: john-barth-completioniziert

Every godsdamn Barth Book.

All the Godsdamn Barth photo DSCN2474_zps9573ed22.jpg

I've read them all. Beginning back in 1996 with On With the Story followed ten years later by the discovery of The Sot-Weed Factor and the rest is now History.

Pending Completionism in 2013 :: Alexander Theroux (2 remaining); William Gaddis (one); David Foster Wallace (really only the rap book outstanding). 2014 will doubtless see more Completionism.

Meanwhile, about the magic of story telling with Barth der Erzähler, I highly recommend Friend Paul's review of the present volume, found HERE. And for the Twin Census of Barthiana, see my review of The Tidewater Tales HERE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Third Thought.

September 18, 2012 – Shelved
September 18, 2012 – Shelved as: john-barth-completioniziert
May 18, 2013 – Started Reading
May 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Darwin8u (last edited May 19, 2013 10:38PM) (new) - added it

Darwin8u I enjoy the image of Barth's novels laying harum-scarum on an adirondack chair. I'm always conflicted, however, about reckless pictures of Completionism.

I imagine -- by finishing DFW/Barth/Gaddis -- jumping feet first into a void the authors' own parents, kids, or spouses haven't attempted yet. Somewhere there is a relative of Barth crying because another devout stranger has payed a bigger tribute to John than he/she did ... because GODDAMMIT she/he still can't get through Tidewater Tales, etc.

message 2: by Fionnuala (last edited May 20, 2013 12:35AM) (new)

Fionnuala I like this carefully built, and no doubt long in the construction, Barth memorial - it's like Michaelangelo's tomb for Julius II - free standing, multi-tiered with upright supports - and his took forty years to complete - plus, if we knock on this one, not Moses but Barth may speak.
I have only a single foundation stone in my Barth memorial but oddly, it's the one used on the pinnacle here so perhaps I'll build from the top down and defy logic..

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls My umblest congratulations.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis MJ wrote: "My umblest congratulations."

My umblest munchy thanks.

Fionnuala wrote: "I'll build from the top down and defy logic.. "

This sounds like a very reasonable plan. [but you can hold off on the Friday books for some while; also, other precautions, warnings, caveats, etcetera]

Rob wrote: "I'm always conflicted, however, about reckless pictures of Completionism. "

By reckless do you mean poorly composed? And, yes, I've read more of Jack's books than has Jack's mom.

message 5: by Darwin8u (new) - added it

Darwin8u I don't know Jack.

message 6: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Heinzelman Barth has been a favorite of mine since the late 1960s. I read 'Every Third Thought' today for the second time...and decided that my fall reading will include re-reading all of Barth oldest to newest.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Ed wrote: "Barth has been a favorite of mine since the late 1960s. I read 'Every Third Thought' today for the second time...and decided that my fall reading will include re-reading all of Barth oldest to newest."

That sounds pretty sweet!

I don't know if you read the secondary lit but if so you might enjoy the volume Dalkey put out a few years back :: John Barth: A Body of Words. As a barthanista I found it charming.

message 8: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Heinzelman Thanks...I haven't seen that book...I will take it up after my revisit is complete!!