Jenny's Reviews > The Monsters of Templeton

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

Jan 03, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, book-club, books-i-own
Recommended for: A book group - lots to talk about!
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 1

Willie Upton is trying to discover the identity of her father, who she knows is a resident of Templeton and an ancestor of Marmaduke Temple, as is she. Sounds boring when you put it like that, but, Lauren Groff's Monster's of Templeton isn't just about Willie the illegitimate love child, this is a story of monsters and ghosts, as well as history. Sounds weird when you put it like that, but trust me it isn't, Groff makes it work!

I really enjoyed this book, it was a really quick, engaging read.I loved the little snippets from characters throughout Templeton's history. However, for me, this was also the books downfall, lots of characters = confusion. I found it difficult to know which part of the family tree I was following, and which member of the family I was reading about. The family tree appears in the book a few times, revised as Willie finds out more, but I'm not one to flick back and forth in a book. I'm lazy what can I say!

The bit that made this book special for me was Glimmey, I love him! And the ending for me was perfect! Cliche? Maybe. But I loved it! Long live Glimmey!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monsters of Templeton.

01/04/2009 page 78