Mark Lawrence's Reviews > Green Eggs and Ham

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Aug 18, 15

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who like green eggs and ham, and those who don't.

Well, three. Those who like green eggs and ham. Those who don't. And those who like the green eggs but not the ham. It's just ham, not green ham. We should get that straight. Oh, correction, it's green ham too.

Anyhow four kinds of people. The haters, the likers, the green egg but not green hammers, and the green hammers but not green eggs.

Actually I guess there are the people who would eat them with a fox, but not in a box. And some who would eat them with a fox, in a box, on a train, but not with a goat.

Ok. So there are lots of kinds of people in the world. Dr Seuss invents diversity. Kudos.

Really the book is about the key existential question in the 20th and 21st centuries. Green food, yes or no, and under what conditions. It's a metaphor for where a man ... or woman ... or thing called Sam ... draws the line.

Where people, where will you draw that line?

Green eggs and (green) ham is a cipher for our age, an antithesis to the jejune, a whirlwind of growing complexity into which we pour our souls and come face to face with the naked question - will we try them? Try them and we may, I say.

Seuss offers us a black and white and green question - do we like them? But this devolves into shades of grey (green), we're crippled with choice, seduced by the rhythm, shocked by the goat.

In the end, my friends, there are only two kinds of people. Those who push the 'like' button on my review of Green Eggs and Ham, and those who suck.

401 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Eggs and Ham.

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I do not like green eggs and ham...oh who am I kidding. I love them.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Drew Such a good book to read out loud to kids - especially when you get up a head of steam on the would nots and could nots.

Jake Nice comprehensive review. Having seen your review, I realized I'd read this one so now it is on my bookshelf too. Thank you.

message 4: by J.M. (new)

J.M. I foresee an annotated edition forthcoming by one Dr. M. Lawrence.

Mark Lawrence Yes, they need to call me about that. I would deconstruct the hell out of it. I would deconstruct it with a mouse. And in a house.

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb The best book to read to your young'uns. And then when they look with disdain upon the meal you created for them, you can pull out the "You do not like it, so you say. Try it, try it and you may. Try it and you may, I say" which calls forth a grin and a fork...

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Reding Goodness. I like it! (The review, not green eggs and ham.)

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Vera Like! Like! Like!

Mark Lawrence Commenting on reviews helps move them up the default ranking - who knew?

In any event, this information is entirely unrelated to my campaign to achieve my lifelong ambition of having the top rated GEAH review on Goodreads!

message 10: by Mitriel (new)

Mitriel So then where does that leave people who comment but don't 'like'?

message 11: by Mitriel (new)

Mitriel ( PS: Was that a Q5? )

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence Mitriel wrote: "So then where does that leave people who comment but don't 'like'?"

That is a catch 22 that the authors of 1* performance/hate reviews exploit. They constantly pull in the book's supporters to comment (often objecting to the fact the reviewer has stated they didn't even read the book) and by commenting they simply ensure that the review continues to top the default list.

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Is it really about green foods? I find it more of an existential crisis. The old man is stalwart in what he thinks he knows, what he thinks he likes; but the persistence of Sam I am, has eroded the foundations of his self knowledge to the point where even though he is committed to "knowing" he does not like green eggs and ham, he succumbs to the repetitive question and finds that his prejudices have been misplaced and misguided. Thus the beginning of the existential crisis which is not documented in the book.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence I believe so. Suess's work pre-dates Harry Harrison's Make Room! Make Room! (1966) by six years and is a clear inspiration, just as Harrison's work inspired Stanley Greenberg and Richard Fleischer's 1973 work Soylent Green. It's about drawing the line and about boundaries, both personal and social. Would you eat it with a goat? Would you eat it if it were reconstitute human 'ham'...

:D

message 15: by Silver (new)

Silver Grey Nice review !

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I would not eat them with a fox as they are tricksley creatures that will eat you right up while your distracted.

message 17: by Iris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iris Lol, how do you do it Mark Lawrence? You write this somewhat haphazard review and yet get to the point so entirely. I smile while reading anything you write and always laugh when I think back on it. Great review, so true, I 'liked' it.

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams I would eat them in a box, but not on a train, in a car but not in the rain. Actually, on reflection, can I have tuna?
Thank you, thank you Mark I am.
Lynn :D

message 19: by Nimue (new)

Nimue Brown You sir, are a genius.

message 20: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Jorg would exhort his brothers "DO YOU NOT LIKE THEM?"

message 21: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence Jorg would say:

You could eat them without pain,
Or I'll stuff them down your throat again.

Brendan "when faced with two options, it is often the best choice to go with the third" ?

Sarah Who are you? Why aren't we friends?

message 24: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence I guess that'd be because you haven't sent me a friends request yet :)

message 25: by Diamond (new) - added it

Diamond Inthe rough Loved your commemt... I mean comments...well you know what I mean. I love the book too.

Tiffany Wang that...was maybe the best review ive ever read hahaha.

who knew that dr seuss was so precient~

camryn denise biddle Really green eggs and ham but I really enjoyed it

message 28: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Lawrence Ah, but the approved artwork shows green ham on the cover!

message 29: by Darren (new)

Darren As a new dad myself whose son who eats up Green Eggs & Ham every other night before bed (the paged version), I enjoyed this perspective. Thanks Mark.

"...shocked by the goat." Too true...

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave I guess the next question is.. what about Green Eggs & Sam?

message 31: by Christie (new)

Christie Jones Now that's what I call a review!

kennedi I some people love them and some hate them

Gowshy can someone teach me how to read here!! i am new

message 34: by Latrell Reynolds (new)

Latrell Reynolds I luv it lol

message 35: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra I hate green eggs and ham

message 36: by Dionis (new)

Dionis Fun review of a fun book. I read this one with my youngest nieces sometimes - thanks :)

Jessica Tafoya Love your book

message 38: by Simon (new)

Simon Mole This feels like it should be the introduction to the book.
I pushed like, I don't suck! ^^

message 39: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo that is one of my favorite books still.

message 40: by Sothy (new)

Sothy Great book, great review :)

Ajmal Khan Your right some people like green eggs and ham

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie I think it was a kid book

message 43: by RottN (new)

RottN And there are those that just LOVE reading this book to their kids. The only thing better is "Fox in Socks"! My kids always loved watching my tongue get all tied up :)

message 44: by Debbie (new)

Debbie My absolute fave Dr. Seuss book!!❤️❤️

message 45: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Sanderson Brilliant!

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Hilarious!

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Another great question is, who rates Dr. Seuss with ones, two's or three's? When everyone should be giving fives freely!!!

Avery Johnson I love. Green eggs anD HAM.

Avery Johnson It is grenat

Natalie Aubrie The first place in the year to this entry

« previous 1