Alissa's Reviews > The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

The Book of Mormon Girl by Joanna Brooks

2013476

it was ok
bookshelves: biographies

I will keep this brief to avoid confrontation, but I should have found out more about this woman before I read the book. I was intrigued by the title and thought it would be about a girl who stood up and defended her religion despite hardships and opposition. Rather, the book should have been called 'The Book ABOUT a Mormon Girl' and should have more clearly stated that it would be about a girl standing up for her opinions and views that differ from the mainstream views of her religion. I felt that although she did give insight into the 'Mormon culture' she worded it in a way that made Mormons seem so weird and crazy that who would ever want to become a Mormon? She talked about preparing for the Apocalypse instead of being reasonably prepared for anything that could happen: death, loss of job, etc. (Just to name one example).

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (a Mormon). I understand that to be a member of the church, you don't have to be perfect, or have perfect views. There can be points of doctrine that you don't understand fully. That's okay. Just like any other church, people come here with their own opinions, and life experience. However, each of us is encouraged to pray and seek for the understanding that we don't have. We are supposed to ask questions-that's how the whole restoration came about, was because Joseph Smith had a question! I feel that sometimes people with a louder, more opposing voice can often times bring a negative view on many subjects (not just religion). How many people would really want to sit and read the biography of a typical Christian woman who stays and home day in a day out striving to teach her children gospel truth?

All in all, I should have figured out what the book would be about before I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Mormon Girl.

Started Reading