Steven's Reviews > Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know About Them

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman

bookshelves: novels, non-fiction

Had I read or been taught the bible from the perspective Bart D. Ehrman gives in Jesus Interrupted, I might still be a practicing Christian. But I was brought up a fundamentalist, a Northern Baptist. In that religion every word of the bible is inspired, the word of God himself, inerrant. So what does a smart kid do when he perceives contradictions and no religious leader can give him a good answer; chuck the religion. What sort of religion perpetrates such absolutism, but then contains such broad errors?

So it is a breath of fresh air when Ehrman presents the bible as literature by authors, from a historical time, with their own thoughts and agendas. It makes the religion acceptable when you don't have to explain away its self-contradictions. And it made the creation stories so much more profound to listen to this past week in church when I could look at it as such; stories and myths, not absolute truths.

What I found particularly interesting about this book is that Ehrman mostly restricted himself to staying within the bible. He didn't reference external contradictions, as he had in his Misquoting Jesus. It was refreshing to hear what scholars have found about the new testament, things that are largely accepted outside of the evangelical, fundamentalist sects.

At times, the writing itself gets boring, repetitive. But it is worth slogging through those passages. Who should read this book? Anyone who is a Christian or is strongly pulled towards religion. It is not Ehrman's goal to destroy faith. Instead, for me, it enabled faith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, Interrupted.

Started Reading