Amy's Reviews > Labyrinth

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Jan 02, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing, audio, made-me-look-something-up, taught-me-something, thank-you-charleston-county-library
Read in January, 2008

Actually listened to this as an audio book. Good historic detail, interesting information, nice plot development between the two stories, if somewhat obvious where it was going, and even if it is part of that DaVinci code bandwagon. But overall, it was fine for car driving listening (even if I did get some funny looks from other drivers when I made faces at the squeamish parts. I don't do torture well.) But I think that if I picked this up to read, rather than listen to while driving, I probably would have gotten very irritated and stopped reading.

From the Publisher

In this extraordinary thriller, rich in the atmospheres of medieval and contemporary France, the lives of two women born centuries apart are linked by a common destiny.

July 2005. In the Pyrenees mountains near Carcassonne, Alice, a volunteer at an archaeological dig stumbles into a cave and makes a startling discovery-two crumbling skeletons, strange writings on the walls, and the pattern of a labyrinth; between the skeletons, a stone ring, and a small leather bag.

Eight hundred years earlier, on the eve of a brutal crusade to stamp out heresy that will rip apart southern France, Alais is given a ring and a mysterious book for safekeeping by her father as he leaves to fight the crusaders. The book, he says, contains the secret of the true Grail, and the ring, inscribed with a labyrinth, will identify a guardian of the Grail. As crusading armies led by Church potentates and nobles of northern France gather outside the city walls of Carcassonne, it will take great sacrifice to keep the secret of the labyrinth safe.

In the present, another woman sees the find as a means to the political power she craves; while a man who has great power will kill to destroy all traces of the discovery and everyone who stands in his way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth.