Sera's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Jan 02, 2009

bookshelves: literary-fiction, library, own, 1001-books
Read in January, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This book was an interesting read. I read it after finishing Stones for Ibarra, which was also set in Mexico. The mysticism that was contained within each of the two books was interesting, because I never appreciated how much mysticism is a part of Mexican culture.

LWC provides a good story about a family of a mother and her daughters, but sometimes it was so far out there, that I had a little difficulty taking it seriously. For example, one of the sisters runs off naked into the woods, a general falls in love with her and captures her, she becomes a prostitute, hooks up with the general again and then becomes a leading commander in the army. What?

I really enjoyed how cooking and food helped the author to tell her story. The metaphors between those two and their impact on others were quite lovely at times. For example, when Tita sheds tears over her sister's marriage to the man that she loves that fall into her sister's wedding cake, everyone gets sick from the cake at the wedding. Scenes such as this reminded me of my husband who always says that the best tasting food comes from those who make it with love. This belief mirrored the author's in that the person who cooked the food was able to transmit and to affect the feelings of those who ate it by how she prepared it. I found this approach to be very clever, and it's what made the book a compelling read for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.

Sarah I did my final project on this last semester. I'll be interested in what you think.

Sera Cool! I intend to start it tonight, so I'll definitely let you know.

Sarah Don't make the Christmas rolls. They're disgusting.

Sera Sarah, you are hilarious. It's the sardines, right?

I just finished the book. I really enjoyed it. I liked the approach taken with the intermingling of recipes and food analogies with the story of the novel itself. I also liked the characters. I'm still digesting the book, and I'm hoping to have some more thoughts later today.

Sarah No, we made them without sardines. But do you KNOW what chorizo is made of? Lips, lymph nodes, and salivary glands. UGH!!

I'm glad you liked the book, though. One thing I found out in my research for my project was that magical realism and the more out-there aspects of mysticism are more commonly accepted in Latin America. Their very capitol was founded on myth and legend (the myths of the Aztec's founding of Tenochtitlan, for example).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Try Soyrizo! Yum.

Sarah Oops, I just read that you had food poisoning, Sera! I guess I shouldn't have talked about the chorizo!

Sera LOL! No worries.

I'm glad that you liked my review :)