Marie Myung-Ok 's Reviews > Safe Suicide

Safe Suicide by Dewitt Henry

The most recent fake memoir scandal "Angel At the Fence"--another story too good to be true--reminded me that I wanted to write a review of this book.

DeWitt Henry writes an "old fashioned" memoir that I fear has gone out of style: a considered examination of a life's journey. No amazing out-of-gangland tale, no extraodinary coincidences, just plain old honest writing about his life, his marriage, his adopted son, being an editor and literary politics (don't we know what that's all about!), crazy writers' conferences, etc. The one chapter about Gabriel, his son's friend who dies of cancer, is indelible--and done so not with drama and histrionics, but an understated writing style, sort of the Emersonian "transparent eyeball" that takes everything in.

I love that the book whipsaws between humor and pathos and everything in between--just like life. The book is full of style and grace and is very literary...I wish THESE kinds of books would be on Oprah, but I guess they aren't simple enough to keep people's attention. Maybe if we keep on buying these kinds of books, someone will pay attention!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe Suicide.

Started Reading