Aubrey's Reviews > Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

F 50x66
Sep 16, 2012

I would definitely recommend this book for both those considering natural birth and those who plan to have a medicated hospital birth. Either person can benefit from reading this. The best thing about this book is the first half containing all of the birth stories. Some of them are a little weird/cheesy, especially those that take place in the 70's. There is definitely a sort of "hippie" tone to many of them. However, all of the stories were very inspiring and showed the beautiful side of childbirth, which is a nice break from the hectic, terrifying birth scenes we tend to see in the media or hear about in stories. I am hoping for a natural unmedicated birth in the hospital, and reading all of these stories makes me confident that I can do it and birth is not something to fear.

The second half of the book, which is more of a guide, is ok. It has some great information but is not incredibly detailed. I would recommend supplementing this book with other books that offer practical advice for labor and delivery.

For anyone considering natural birth or who would just like to know more about it, the documentary The Business of Being Born was really interesting. It's on Netflix! But warning, it does have some birth scenes.

Also, Walmart had the best price I could find, even compared to amazon, eBay, and half.com. :-)

Good luck to those waiting for birth!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.