Kathleen's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell from the Sky

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

Sep 16, 2012

bookshelves: five-star-books

I've just finished reading this straight through, even though I had no business doing so, because SWEET JESUS IT'S GOOD!

I didn't realize when I picked it up that it's set in 1980s Portland, with flashbacks to Chicago and other places. It's about the aftermath of a murder-suicide, plus some accompanying tragedies and alcoholism. And about race in the United States. And about being a teenager.

It's so well-told - it shifts between Rachel's 1st person story and third person stories from other observers points-of-view, and it shifts between Rachel's timeline and the time immediately after she lost her family, and it's just masterfully done. It works so well, revealing pieces of the story at just the right pace.

The characters are so real that I kept wanting to hug them myself. And I felt this way after only 35 pages!

I grabbed this book off the Lucky Day shelf at the library, knowing nothing about it, and I'm definitely glad I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell from the Sky.