Jane's Reviews > Iggie's House

Iggie's House by Judy Blume

Sep 16, 2012

liked it

I was always a big fan of Judy Blume when I was younger, and I recently decided to reread some of her books. Iggie's House wasn't one that I read as a child, so I was pleased to get it from the library and settle down with it.

Iggie's House tells the story of Winnie, a girl whose best friend moves away to Japan in the middle of the summer. This in itself could be enough of a story for a Judy Blume novel, but instead she decides to introduce a typically American story, making the family that move into Iggie's house a black family. Winnie quickly makes friends with the three children, but comes up against the racist views of her neighbours. Even her parents don't seem to be too happy that there are African Americans in the neighbourhood.

This book was first published in 1970. Its message was important then, at a time of huge racial discordance, and coming hot on the heels of the 1960s, an important time in the fight for civil rights. I don't think that time dilutes the message; throughout the book I felt so frustrated on behalf of Winnie, who is trying to make the adults on her street understand that the Garbers are a normal family, and deserve to live there as much as anyone. Winnie doesn't always do the right thing, but she always does it with the best conscience; she is a child whose opinion is dismissed because of her age.

It's not my favourite Judy Blume book, but it's a good one, and I can't wait to read the rest of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iggie's House.

Started Reading