Theresa's Reviews > Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson

Sep 15, 2012

Overall a compelling story and page turner! I became a little frustrated because the author switches between two stories approximately every other chapter. So I felt like just when I was settling into one story it switched to another. But thankfully as the stories reached their climax the chapters became shorter and shorter, picking up the pace of each story.

The book is a work of non-fiction. It tells 2 stories that are happening simultaneously in Edwardian England. One is the story of G. Marconi and his drive to make the use of wireless technology practical and imperative around the world. The second is the story of a once world famous murder mystery. In the end the 2 stories collide in a way.

I think this is a great way to make history fascinating to readers. And it's interesting to me to read about parallel historical events and how one may have an effect on the other in unexpected ways. I have to admit that I found the Marconi story to get a little dry and tedious but as that was happening the murder mystery jumped a few notches on the excitement scale.

I enjoyed it enough to read at least one other book by this author, but I think I'll take a break and read a few other things before diving in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunderstruck.

message 1: by Karen.s (new)

Karen.s I'm really enjoying In The Garden of The Beast by Larson. Such a knack for making history interesting. Which other one do you want to read?

Theresa I'm not sure which one will be next. Any recommendations?

Amy  Katherine Brown Glad you posted.... sounds like one I'd like!! And I love non-fiction!!

message 4: by Karen.s (new)

Karen.s I just finished Garden. I like them equally but Devil in the White City moved me to watch two documentaries on Amazon so I guess that makes a bigger impression. Man's capacity for evil juxtaposed with his capacity to create beauty is hard to beat.