Belinda's Reviews > Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Aug 06, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: children
Recommended for: kids with no concept of boring-ness or bad poetry

Look, I KNOW this has become a children's classic, and that it's much-beloved by many who grew up having it read to them. We had it for Bella when she was really little. Fortunately, we didn't have to read it to her very often, because SHE didn't like it. It didn't hold her attention--and who could blame her? Stacked up next to Where The Wild Things Are, this thing does not stand a chance. The "poem" in it doesn't adhere to any consistent meter or rhyme scheme...I think it's just awful. The artwork isn't even good. This is one of those books whose success totally baffles me, and makes me think that the state of children's literature must have been pretty scary at the time of its publication.

Commence hate-mail....NOW.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodnight Moon.

message 1: by Cozcoz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Cozcoz Does Bella have any of the Allen & Janet Ahlberg books? 'The Jolly Postman' and 'Burglar Bill' were my absolute favourites when I was her age.

message 2: by Belinda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Belinda No, and I am VERY interested in popular kids' books from the UK, because MY faves as a wee one? A.A. Milne, then Roald Dahl as I got older...I'm making a note of the ones you suggested, because we're making Bella a "book wish list" for her birthday.

Can I just tell you that her suddenly reading all by herself is the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me? You know, aside from her being BORN, and all.

message 3: by Oddmix (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Oddmix Nope, no hate mail from me. I hear ya', sister!

Children's books which are written to be read aloud and as poetry should at least attempt to hold a consistent rhyme and meter. I tend to put a lot of inflection into my voice when I read to my little ones. And books that change mid stream drive me bonkers.

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise I agree! This book is so boring!