Kimberly's Reviews > Vessel

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

Sep 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, fantasy-sf

A unique fantasy with an equally unique, fully-realized world and cultures. Unpredictable storyline, good writing, and full-dimensional characters, even the ones that didn't get much pagetime. And the magic system has rules and makes sense, and isn't used as a deus ex machina. Really well done!

I liked how the stories that Liyana (and others) told about her world and her gods actually had an impact on the main storyline. It reminded me a very little bit of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon in that way.

I also liked how the religion here wasn't mythical. The gods were real, with real powers. A lot of fantasy doesn't go there, or at least leaves it up to the reader to decide, which is fine, but it's more unusual to see it actually presented as the characters really believe.

I was really impressed, and the only reason it doesn't merit a five star rating from me is that I wasn't always fully engrossed. The pacing may have been a little off in the first half, but overall this is an excellent book.

Full review: http://www.stackedbooks.org/2012/10/v...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vessel.