Allison's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Jan 01, 2009

Read in April, 2009

Finally finished with this book, it only took 4 months. Even though by the time I was done, I was just happy for it to be finished more than anything, I still really enjoyed the story. It started off so slow with long chapters, which made it hard to get into, once the story finally did get started, I was hooked. My absolute favorite part was the magic Mr. Norrell did at the church in the very beginning. I found it so charming and endearing that the statues had lives and arguements and opinions even though they were stone. It reminds me of when you are young and wondering if your toys come alive when you sleep. I also loved the memory of the statues and the remembrance granted to the forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Quotes Allison Liked

Susanna Clarke
“Alexander of Whitby taught that the universe is like a tapestry only parts of which are visible to us at a time. After we are dead, we will see the whole and then it will be clear to us how the different parts relate to each other.”
Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Susanna Clarke
“It is curious and we magicians collect curiosities, you know.”
Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

03/18/2009 page 212
21.07% "slowly but surely...i'm really enjoying it, but it's quite long and slow going"
show 4 hidden updates…