Lisa 's Reviews > A Corner of White

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty

Sep 15, 2012

liked it

Rating - 3.5

The Short Story? - Fans of Jaclyn Moriarty will definitely enjoy her latest YA, A Corner Of White! With the perfect combination of contemporary and fantasy, Moriarty has created not one but two worlds that are joined together by two very well developed characters. A slow but well planned plot, characters with depth and rich prose, from one of Australia's finest YA authors comes the start of a new series that will be enjoyed by many! A Corner of White will appeal to readers of YA fantasy and contemporary!

The Long Story? - This book took me forever to read for two reasons. A) I was in a reading slump and B) the book is quite chunky. There were aspects of the novel that I liked but also aspects of the novel that didn't sit well with me. One of the things I didn't enjoy about the novel was the slow pace. A Corner of White is a really slowed pace novel, the plot tends to ponder along and for someone who loves action-packed and fast pace novels, this just wasn't my cup of tea. The plot was interesting, I liked how Moriarty has interweaved to different worlds into one story, essentially it's two plots that are connected and in turn form a larger picture. One of the worlds is very fantasy based and the other one is very realistic hence the combination of contemporary and fantasy. I enjoyed the plot well enough and despite the slow pace, overall it was a really interesting and unique read. I liked how romance wasn't the focal point of the novel, I liked the family issues that the two protagonists were facing and I liked how everything worked out in the end. It's quite a confusing book but once you get the ball rolling, it's truly quite brilliant.

The characterisation is definitely my favourite part of the novel. The benefit of a novel written about two worlds is that it follows two different characters. However instead of two different perspectives of the same plot, each character has its own story. Madeleine was a really great character, initially I couldn't quite figure her out because she's a really complex character whose actions and personality are rather confusing however once you start to connect with Madeleine, her character really comes to life! Elliot was a wonderful character and I felt myself connect better with him than Madeleine because of a variety of reasons but mostly because the issues Elliot tackles throughout the novel made him appeal to me more and also his personality really complimented mine. Fantastic protagonist, a wonderful cast of secondary characters and overall just a job well done in the characterisation department!

In a nutshell, A Corner of White is a novel that readers of YA will enjoy. If you don't mind a novel with a slow pace and some initial confusion, this book is definitely worth checking out! Moriarty latest YA novel is the perfect combination of contemporary fiction and YA fantasy. With a complex and brilliant plot and beautiful characters, A Corner of White is one to put on the radar!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of White.

September 15, 2012 – Started Reading
September 20, 2012 –
page 258
September 22, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Chrissy (new) - added it

Chrissy I really want to read this!!!

Arielle I don't think the pace was slow, I thought it was perfectly and necessarily paced in how the story unfolded and the mysteries unravelled. But to each his own! :) I hope you pick up the Cracks in the Kingdom.