Blythe's Reviews > Blind Spot

Blind Spot by Laura Ellen

5206717
I've been tricked! Bamboozled! Played! *goes to look up other synonyms for tricked* Cheated! Conned! Deceived! Duped! Flimflammed (that's my favorite)! Swindled!

But most of all, I've been disappointed. Disappointed that I went into Blind Spot thinking it'd be, well... good, disappointed in what it actually ended up being, and also, disappointed that it wasn't what it could have been. And what this could have been is so, so much more than it was.

Your enjoyment in this novel boils down to one major thing (but that's not to say there aren't other reasons why you'd be disappointed in Blind Spot), and that one major thing is what you're expecting Blind Spot to be. Now, if you're going into Blind Spot expecting it to be a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat murder mystery, as both the synopsis and trailer made it look like it'd be, then run away from this book like it's a madman coming at you with a butcher knife. If you see this in the book store (when it's released), just drop everything you're holding, let out a high-pitched scream, and run away flailing your arms while screaming, "You won't trick me! You won't trick meeeeeeee!". Sure, it may just cause a scene, maybe even get you locked up in a nice little padded room, but at least you can say you've escaped the clutches of Blind Spot and its deceit. Me? Dramatic? WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!

However, if you're going into this book expecting a painfully cliché and horribly written high school drama à la, "That bitch right there - she just looked at my boyfriend. Hold my phone, I'm coming at her with my nails and the power of my Twitter followers", with very, very little murder mystery aspects and characters you want to desperately strangle, then grab this book. I can't assure you'd like it, because there's still, of course, the issues pertaining to the writing, pacing, plotting, characterization (you know what, let's just go under the assumption that everything in this book is bad), but at least you won't go into this book expecting one thing and end up getting the exact opposite thing. Though let's be honest, who read the synopsis and thought, "Amazing! I can't wait to get lost in this riveting *snort* high school drama!" Mmhmm. Thought so.

Aside from me going into Blind Spot expecting one thing and getting the opposite in the worst way possible (which really is a personal letdown, and not entirely about the book's quality. Though it was the book's marketing that led me to believe this would be a thrilling murder mystery, so it's not entirely my fault that I believed the marketing, is it?), everything that could have gone wrong in this book did. Upon reading the first few pages of Blind Spot, I had that sinking feeling that said, "Well, this isn't going to go well." And that sinking feeling wasn't brought upon by the, in my opinion, extremely amateur writing, which is practically glaring at first, but by the main character, Roz. I don't know if Laura Ellen intended to make Blind Spot comprise of characters you're supposed to hate, but, considering that I did indeed hate each and every character in this book, I'm going to go under the assumption that making me hate everyone was her intention. The problem is, I don't enjoy reading novels where the characters are so intensely hatable that I want to personally reach through the pages and strangle them. I hate to generalize that all novels with intentionally hatable characters are unenjoyable to me, but, in my experience, I am led to believe that that is true. In my opinion, few authors are able to pull off writing novels where you're supposed to hate the characters, but where you're still thoroughly interesting in what's going to happen to them, and Laura Ellen, unfortunately, is not one of those few.

Though I was somewhat interested in what would happen to the characters, it wasn't in a "I can't wait to see what happens to this character!" way, but more like a "God, I hope this character gets stabbed on the next page" way. And, woe is me, I went through pages and pages of this novel, only to end up disappointed, once again, though not just by the novel's quality, but also that no one got stabbed out of nowhere. *sigh* Oh, well. It's a hard knock life.

However, I did have other motivations for getting through Blind Spot, those motivations being that, a) I want to have a fully scheduled blog this week and I was hoping this'd be my review for Friday (pathetic, I know), b) I wanted to see how long it would take for the plot to magically appear like a Pokemon (around 60%, in case you were wondering. Yeah, that means this book is sixty percent crappy high school drama, and forty percent murder mystery. I'll just let you decide on your own how wrong it is that a book pitched as a riveting murder mystery is only comprised of about forty percent murder mystery which is neither riveting or interesting), and c) I didn't want trolls coming at me with sharp objects screaming that I'm not one to judge a book because I didn't even finish it. Odds are that they still will come at me with sharp objects, but this way that argument is crossed off the Troll's Way To Troll list.

Ultimately, if my incoherent ranting and rating weren't enough of an indication, I found Blind Spot to be a horribly written, paced, plotted and misguided mess. I almost threw my Kindle at the wall because it frustrated me so much. Honestly, the people behind this book's marketing should just write a whole new synopsis for this that actually plays fair to the book's content. Hell, I'll even write the synopsis. I can't assure it'd be a fair or unbiased synopsis, but at least it will give readers a forewarning that what they think they will get in Blind Spot is not what they will end up getting. That warning may even save a thrown Kindle or two. Seriously, think of the Kindles.

You can read this review and others on my blog, Finding Bliss in Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Spot.

September 15, 2012 – Shelved
September 30, 2012 – Started Reading
September 30, 2012 –
5.0% "Great, special education jokes. What an amazing start. \n \n description"
October 1, 2012 –
21.0% "I think it's safe to say I want to strangle everyone in this book."
October 1, 2012 –
52.0% "ARGH THIS BOOK IS SO HORRIBLE I WANT TO THROW SOMETHING"
October 2, 2012 –
65.0% "All this book has done so far is make me angry. Not make me interested, or engaged in the story, and definitely not entertained. Just angry."
October 3, 2012 –
October 4, 2012 – Shelved as: losing-my-faith-in-humanity
October 4, 2012 – Shelved as: snark-bait-ooh-ah-ah
October 4, 2012 – Shelved as: unmet-potential
October 4, 2012 – Shelved as: read-reviewed

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Addie R. Gahh I still need to finish this. >.<

But I'm seriously contemplating on just DNF'ing.

Blythe The only reason I didn't DNF it is because I needed a blog post for Friday. That's pathetic.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Wow. And still you gave it two stars?

Blythe Once the mystery got going, it became slightly more interesting, so I give it props for that. Though I highly, highly doubt it will still be two stars when I'm done writing the review. At most 1.5 stars.

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Don't you just love changing your mind mid-review? -.-

Blythe It happens often. Mostly with negative reviews whose book I give two stars to. Halfway through the review I realize I had more things to bitch about than I thought, so I lower the rating.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat Or sometimes you really love a book, and then you start writing the review and realize all the things wrong with it. That's always a huge bummer to me.

Blythe It is for me, too, but if I really do love a book I give it a good rating despite its flaws. I just did that with Ultraviolet.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat Yeah, I saw that. I was wary about reading that book but after your review I think I might.
And I'm the same way. Or if I rate a book, then let it go for a couple of months, re-read it and find that I didn't enjoy it as much, I tend to keep my rating the same. I like to think about the first time I loved it.

Blythe That happens often with me, too. My tastes change over time, and if I reread a book I once gave five stars to, I might just end up giving it three stars. That's why I don't reread often, unless I'm sure the book I'm rereading is one I will love forever and ever. I prefer to stick with my original thoughts on a book than my newly formed thoughts on a book after a reread. Unless those newly formed thoughts are positive, of course.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) I change GR ratings ALL the time. Haha. I love rereading! But blogging has put a stop to most of that.

Blythe I used to enjoy rereading (but only books I love and know I always will love), but, like you said, blogging has unfortunately put a stop to rereading. I just don't have the time to go back and read a book I already read again when I have so many unread books I'm neglecting.

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat Blythe wrote: "That happens often with me, too. My tastes change over time, and if I reread a book I once gave five stars to, I might just end up giving it three stars. That's why I don't reread often, unless I'm..."

I am totally the same way. Like with Lauren Kate's Fallen series. I found I liked Fallen when I was 14, but when I re-read it now, at age 17, I'm like...what was I thinking?

message 14: by claire elise (new)

claire elise let's not neglect the nooks shall we! if its as painful to read as you say, its only right we treat all e-readers equally in saving them from an untimely death.

and if this is only available on kindle well than thats just awkward

Blythe Oops, I forgot about the other ereaders! I apologize for neglecting you, Nooks and other ereaders! (I feel like they're all going to gang up on me, now...)

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki That is so disappointing. I was looking forward to this book because the description made it sound so good, despite it being pretty different from the books I normally gravitate towards. Ugh, whyyyy, misleading description, whyyyyyy??

message 17: by claire elise (new)

claire elise Blythe wrote: "Oops, I forgot about the other ereaders! I apologize for neglecting you, Nooks and other ereaders! (I feel like they're all going to gang up on me, now...)"

I'm sure we can find it in our hearts( or memory boards
or whatever it is..shows how much i know about technology) to forgive you. The healing process might take awhile... but in the end we'll thank you ... one day

message 18: by Pauline (new)

Pauline "Flimflammed" is my favourite too. LOL

message 19: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie I adore this review. That is all :-)

Tanima Bag Incoherent is right. Ur review woulda been hilarious had u emumered a few plot holes and examples to back ur rantings.
Anyway, I found the book alright. But I've been through greater tragedies that have shredded my faith in GR ratings and reviews(like FSOG series and that Jamie McGuire book,and that woman who writes the stupidest books like Sea breeze series,and whatever it is that Tara Sivec lady sharts and calls "books"...and the list goes on.) So i'm thankfully not as scarred by this one. Oh well, to each It's own Yeah?

Tanima Bag enumerated *
Damn u T9 prediction

message 22: by Hope (new) - rated it 1 star

Hope Oh my gosh! I feel the same way! I haven't even gotten half way through this book and I just feel disappointed. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I picked it up hoping to read a thrilling murder mystery to only find a fluffy high school romance drama...