Chy's Reviews > The Other

The Other by Thomas Tryon

1917722
Sep 14, 2012

Read in October, 2012

"Saxophones are the devil's instrument."

Hell yeah. I love Ada. In a weird way, I blame Dead Poet's Society (one of my favorite films from way back) for my hate of saxophones, but it's hard to explain and has no place in this review.

Anyway.

I scroll down at all these reviews that are made without spoilers and all I can think is how?

I can say this: The writing is gorgeous and mesmerizing. The characterization, haunting. The twists...well...I read it as a writer without meaning to, because of the gorgeous writing, which means I foresaw much.

It was wrought with rich, rich symbolism. Gorgeous, unobtrusive-to-those-who-don't-get-it symbolism. And metaphor. I could eat all that up with a spoon.

And with that, the review turns to complete spoiler.

(view spoiler)

Literary horror. Totally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other.

06/28/2013 marked as: read

Sheila Omg, this used to be one of my favorite books when I was young! Now I'm wondering if it's really as cool as I thought it was or if I was just easily impressed.

message 2: by Chy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chy Cool! Yeah, I've had to reread some for those very reasons. Never have read this one, though; Lynn's review made me want to.

message 3: by Sheila (last edited Sep 16, 2012 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheila Man, ever since I wrote that comment, I've had "How many miles to Babylon? Threescore miles and ten. Can I get there by candle light? Yes, and back again." echoing over and over in my head. Literary ear-worm, gah! Only cure is to re-read. Or maybe more cowbell.

Lynn It really was that cool. Bad news is it's out of print. Good news is a new edition's coming out next month.

message 5: by Chy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chy More cowbell!

Other good news is that I bought it used just fine on Amazon, and now it's on its way to me. :-D